Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
AgentFelix
 Posted: Dec 16 2017, 02:30 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

Edit on earlier statement, one of the other problems I had with VII was them playing fast and loose with Force abilities without explanation. Kylo isn't fully trained in TFA yet we see him do things we've never seen trained Jedi or Sith do like stopping a blaster bolt in mid-air, and Jeen style mind raping ppl for information. But then again with some new force revelations in this movie as well, maybe they're really just trying to drive it back towards, we as the audience doesn't know what the force is, and what it's capable of. In terms of the Original Trilogy all that actually falls in line. It's really only problematic when compared to the prequels, where you had a whole boat load of Jedi and a series of Sith, using a set of defined and very similar powers on screen, that doesn't include some of these things seen in VII and VIII.

SPOILERS:
so upon thinking about it, the Leia thing bothers me a bit less. Because the psychic rapport thing between Reylo didn't bother me, and the Luke imaginary shit didn't at all. what's funny about that moment is my wife likes more grounded movies and hates when things start getting too off base, so when this scene happened, I looked right towards her and she gave me the biggest "give me a break" stare ever and I had to keep from chortling. I'm going in for second viewing tonight though, and I'm ready to analyze vs absorb in so many aspects.

Unrelated

SPOILERS:
for real though, I can't wait for this movie to reach the point where it's assumed everyone has seen it, so I can get high quality desktop wallpapers, t-shirts and who knows what else with Reylo back to back ready to kick ass, because I'm not kidding, the chill that shot straight up my spine for like 5 seconds had me euphoric. We saw a lot of 2 v group fights in the prequels, but they were always just two heroes bantering about laying waste to grunts. This was a legit brawl, coming from a tense moment, with an unexpected team-up. And one that built on the audiences hope, intentionally playing with our feelings by knowing we would ignore the obvious of what was happening. I have to let the adrenaline settle, but it feels like an easy top 5 action (or hell, overall) moment of any of the 9 Star Wars movies for me. IT WAS SO EFFING COOL
PM
^
The Big G
 Posted: Dec 17 2017, 01:21 PM

BROLY POWER MAXIMUUUUUUUUUUUUM

SPOILERS:
it seems like the one thing most agree on was the Finn and Rose jaunt to Canto Bight was unnecessary and pointless given the fact they ultimately failed in their mission to destroy the First Order’s tracking device. Yes you can argue that the point was to give Finn the motivation to fully align himself with the Resistance but that could have been done in a much more different and meaningful way.

To me Canto Bight itself wasn’t the issue...it was the reason why they were there that derailed it. So let me propose this idea to ya’ll.

After the opening space battle, the Resistance get away but after barely due to Poe’s gamble assault on the Dreadnaught. The FO retreats to regroup with Snoke on the Supremacy while the Resistance regroups. Leia decides that they should head to Crait and bunker down for a bit. But they need supplies, SO Leia leads a delegation to Canto Bight(which consists of 3P0, Finn, Rose and some red shirts) to meet with some of Leia’s contacts that she has there. Now we get more time there instead of the 3 hours side quest. If we spent even just a few days there it would make much more sense, hell while they’re there the FO could spies reporting back to Snoke that the rest of the Resistance is bunkered down on Crait. Hell you could even make DJ the FO informant or perhaps even if you REALLY want to change things make Holdo Leia’s contact on CB. Her look is more CB than the Resistance.

Leia and Co return to Crait empty handed but Finn has found his resolve and helps rally the troops to make their stand against the FO in time for Luke to Force Project across the Galaxy to confront Kylo.

Removing the long chase/tracking plot, not only gives them more time to flush out CB but it also gives Rey more time with Luke on Ach-to. Which allows for more Force Skype calls between Rey and Kylo. And may be a few scenes where Rey is reacting to what's happening to Kylo as opposed to vice versa.

This is just an idea, that would give us more of what worked plus partially fixed what didn’t with only a few major changes.
PMWebsite
^
Filthy Mutie
 Posted: Dec 19 2017, 06:21 PM

I need to unpack it, but I'm pretty sure I loved it aside from the Canto Bite stuff, including characters involved. SPOILERS:
Finn could've been used differently and I'm not sold on Rose; strangely, the chaotic neutral hacker who played against fans' expectations of rogues being ultimately good was the best part of all that.
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Dec 19 2017, 06:38 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

QUOTE (Filthy Mutie @ Dec 19 2017, 09:21 PM)
I need to unpack it, but I'm pretty sure I loved it aside from the Canto Bite stuff, including characters involved. SPOILERS:
Finn could've been used differently and I'm not sold on Rose; strangely, the chaotic neutral hacker who played against fans' expectations of rogues being ultimately good was the best part of all that.

I loved his character. Hope he returns
PM
^
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 12:52 PM

I don't lactate.

7jvjvjvvvvvbjivvjjjjjvjjjjibvjjvvjvvjjjjjjvjjjbjjjjjvjvjj I fucking hated it despite my gigantic bias that shoulda made me bust a nut IN THE THEATER bc of how much focus Poe got but anyway I am never watching this shit again

--------------------
Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?
PM
^
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 01:42 PM

I don't lactate.

Im seething rn okay heres my unfiltered thoughts?
SPOILERS:
They took a gigantica crap on lukes character to give sum redemption to kylie. And Vader? Like luke could see the light in him but kenny is so overwhelmingly dark and menacing that The Hero was ready to murder the boy in his sleep???? Of course.
Reys whole journey was a joke she burnt thru every step of the way bc we needed more focus on her sharing the ultimate intimacy with kevin and deciding he was definitely worth salvation. And we have no idea why. She just. Felt it. Terrible instance of them telling us but not showing us.
The comedy felt so forced some times idk tho it could be bc I watched it in french. Hux and kylo reminded me of power rangers villains its hard to take the threat of the empire seriously when its led by buffoons.
Snoke is whatever like was that it? Are we done? Who cares?
Theres a lot understated abt Finns character and history and motivations and we started to scratch the surface here but it feels like too little and frankly itd have been a better thing to explore then sending him a wacky errand that ultimately amounted to literally nothing but somehow cements his relationship with Rose? Whom i dont hate but I felt she wasnt relly fleshed out well.
Poes the one who imo had the best character arc but even then it came at the expense of him being separated from the rest of the cast from previous movies and staying away from the action.
I liked whatshername that replaced Leia but maybe she should have been saved for the movie that wont have any actual Leia innit?
All in all, I feel like, while VII deserves criticism for rehashing too many elements from past movies,its major strengty is the amazing chemistry it built between its characters in limited amount of time. That was totally lost in here in favor of Kendalls being given depth he didnt deserve. God I hate that goth bitch.

I have more criticisms, im just too angry to rmbr rn.

--------------------
PM
^
Fringe Division
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 02:30 PM

Napkin Bracelet

I'm sad you didn't go through all the Kardashian-Jenner names until you got to calling him Rob.
PM
^
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 02:49 PM

I don't lactate.

Im sad I paid two tickets for fascism apologism.

--------------------
PM
^
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Dec 21 2017, 09:25 AM

I don't lactate.

user posted image

This guy is my Guggenheim

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll