Pages: (10) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

We, are the Crystal Gems!, Steven Universe Discussion (Spoilers)
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Jul 15 2015, 07:24 PM

Still Endangered

Finally the onion episode we've been waiting for
PM
^
Personamanx
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 07:01 AM

Swollen Member

The end shot of Onion was somehow both adorable and unsettling.
PM
^
Personamanx
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 03:18 PM

Swollen Member

It also loops pretty dang near perfectly.

"Historical Friction" was pretty funny. Interesting arc so far. Tomorrow is probably going to move things forward again after these last three episodes that largely showcased a singular gem.
PM
^
The Big G
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 07:09 PM

BROLY POWER MAXIMUUUUUUUUUUUUM

Im surprised with as much online popularity this show has why are episodes only 15 min long?
PMWebsite
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 07:15 PM

Still Endangered

More like 11 minutes. It's a half hour cartoon. 2 episodes each. You know how this goes G.

Adventure Time is the same and just as popular. Along with almost every cartoon from the 90s. Similar format.

You should be asking how creators manage to squeeze so much content into such a small amount of time.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 07:19 PM

Still Endangered

Hint hint shounen writers!
PM
^
Personamanx
 Posted: Jul 16 2015, 07:32 PM

Swollen Member

It's produced in 22 minute half hours, split into two 11 minute shorts. Pretty common as Pictus was saying. Granted in the 90's it was usually two 7-11 minute long shorts with a significantly smaller one sandwiched between to fill out the 22 minutes.

I'm told 11 minutes leaves storyboard artists, writers and animators with a desire for more time to do more shots for atmospheric purposes that would otherwise eat up too much time for necessary shots that move the plot or add humour. But when you do that enough 22 minutes becomes a lot of time that's easy to pad out with useless scenes. They pretty much want a straight 15 minutes sometimes without committing to a full 22.
PM
^
Personamanx
 Posted: Jul 17 2015, 06:54 PM

Swollen Member

"Historical Friction" was a pretty solid episode, It was pretty much sold for me when Pearl was so proud of Steven for being on stage.

"Friend Ship" ended the third Stevenbomb off on a positive note. It was a nice conclusion to the arc while still acknowledging that there's still work to be done in order to repair some of the damage. Wish that Connie had showed up in an episode or two but I suppose her absence isn't particularly unusual.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Jul 18 2015, 12:34 PM

Still Endangered

I suspected the Gems had some sort of caste system ever since that one lyric in Sworn to the Sword

"Deep down you know you're not built for fighting"

and how Jasper addressed them in the beginning of Jailbreak. something about "a runt Amethyst" and "a defunct Pearl"

When I heard that I thought, oh, maybe they just make Pearls and Amethysts and Whatevers hymenoptera style. That'd be interesting.

And now we have confirmation!
PM
^
Baby_Hater666
 Posted: Jul 18 2015, 08:53 PM

Master of None

Ok. So, i want to like Steaven Universe but I'm not gonna lie, I find the themes of sexual agency in the show to come across as very - white lady feminism. Particularly the episode with Stevonnie. It was grating. The fusion being an allegory (I say allegory because it's pretty literal) for physical relations and sexual self awareness was more than a little uncomfortable here. Garnet's "go gettum' tiger" topped it off for me, it presents this weird imbalance of embracing sexuality on one hand and strongly policing it when it becomes apparent in other more minor characters I.e. the dance scene. Steven and his father are basically written to be neutered non-threats as male and heteronormative sexuality is written out to be almost inherently menacing. Rose Quartz is very much the empathetic white Madonna figure who upon hooking up with Steven's dad dies. I'm on a cellphone right now so bare with. My main qualm though is the racially narrow upper middle class brand of progressivism the show is predicated on and praised for. and I'm not saying the cast isn't diverse no it's more the ideology behind it seems hyper specified in its authorship. More over, I love to watch the show as it's an awesome jumping off point to talk about some real problems in modern feminism, or as it gets called more and more these days " white feminism"
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (10) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll