Add Reply
New Poll

Post-Crisis Batman From the Beginning
Diana Prince
 Posted: Oct 13 2016, 09:38 PM

Advanced Member

user posted image
I'd like to start a from the beginning on Batman, beginning at the run that changed the character into the one we know and love. Before Batman 400, we had a man who was obsessed with the job, but had a very human side to him as well. Jason was a carbon copy of Dick, but he had blonde hair. Bats had a litany of love interests, and his standard rogues, with Black Mask being the newest edition before the big crisis.

Anyway, feel free to join in. One note: I don't have the Legends of the Dark Knight series. That book was stolen from my storage unit, so if you own them feel free to share them.
PM
^
Diana Prince
 Posted: Oct 14 2016, 06:31 PM

Advanced Member

I'll probably start this on Sunday after work.
PM
^
Diana Prince
 Posted: Oct 16 2016, 04:37 PM

Advanced Member

user posted image

We begin with Batman 401, which is also a tie in to the Legends crossover, which was the first big post Crisis crossover to introduce several new characters and reintroduce some to the greater DCU. It's written by Barbra Randell and drawn by Trevor Von Eeden. It's Magpie's second appearance and deals with a jewel caper which ends up with a police officer dying and Batman and Robin getting trapped. They escape and that's it. Being a Legends tie in, it has an appearance from G. Gordon Godfrey, and has amazing art. The writing is decent, but clearly feels like a fill in. The most interesting thing about this issue is it features the first female to write for Batman. It's well worth a read, but feels very dated.

Thoughts?
PM
^
Diana Prince
 Posted: Oct 16 2016, 05:55 PM

Advanced Member

user posted image
Second entry is Detective Comics 568. This issue is another part of the Legends crossover. It's a fill in by Joey Cavalieri with art by Klaus Janson. This feels very pre-Crisis bats than post Crisis, but you'll notice that in a lot of stories pre-Year One, especially the Mike W. Barr & Alam Davis run. Anyway, this story involves the Penguin and large falcons. The Penguin comes off still campy, as does Batman & Robin, but it's not 60's Adam West camp. Art is top notch. Don't understand why Janson hasn't done more with Batman.

Thoughts?
PM
^
Filthy Mutie
 Posted: Oct 17 2016, 01:18 PM

Interesting that the first one is described as "dated." It doesn't feel that long ago...
PM
^
Diana Prince
 Posted: Oct 17 2016, 01:26 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Filthy Mutie @ Oct 17 2016, 04:18 PM)
Interesting that the first one is described as "dated." It doesn't feel that long ago...

I know, right? I only think it's dated due to the tone. It was very pre.crisis like, which is a real treat, but he wasn't the Batman we've known for the past 30 years. Very little personality, solely focused on his mission.
PM
^
Diana Prince
 Posted: Oct 18 2016, 02:00 AM

Advanced Member

user posted image
Today I read Batman 402. This is the official start of the run written by Max Allan Collins, who before this was making a name for himself writing gritty novels, and even wrote the graphic novel Road to Perdition. Anyway, D.C. was looking for that grim and grittiness that Max was known for in his books, but he decided to go in a direction that didn't really work for the characters. This story revolves around two Batmen running around Gotham, where one arrives to save a couple from getting mugged, and he snaps the necks of the muggers. The real Batman almost gets shot by the GCPD, with a cop who's trying to create a coup to oust Gordon. The story is decent, nothing to write home about, but the art is by Jim Starlin, who did a masterful job. Probably the best artist Max gets on his short run. Yeah, Cockrum does a few issues before Starlin takes over writing, but he gets saddled with a inferior inker and he and Max don't really gel together, creatively.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll