Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

How do you feel about Kitty capitulating on mutant identity politics?, (Quitty/Shitty/Kevin)
darknessatnoon
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 01:12 PM

She's always changing positions on this. In Mekanix, she didn't want mutants to live together in a "ghetto."
PM
^
darknessatnoon
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 01:13 PM

I actually hated her M-Word speech. It didn't read convincingly as Kitty Pryde. It read as Bendis lecturing us.
PM
^
Aguja
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 01:39 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Moghedien @ Mar 30 2017, 12:30 PM)
this is disgusting she's practically an Inhuman, I knew there was something fishy with that boy haircut she got

No! I changed my username so we could start feuding on here. Go back to the spider.
PM
^
Phoenix Egg
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 03:44 PM

THEY'RE BACK!!!!

QUOTE (Satan @ Mar 30 2017, 12:43 PM)
They all gotta fit in with the rest of the colorful merry Marvel heroes and not stand out and talk about civil liberties unless it's Civil War where you can beat your bff to death.

user posted image

It's not Disney. It's Marvel, the CEO specifically, and probably Shit-Taste Alonso too.

--------------------
"I don’t want you to get hurt but you have to understand… the more you annoy me the more I can’t help thinking about deconstructing you, molecule by molecule, memory by memory… until there’s nothing left but screaming, traumatized atoms."
PMEmail
^
Filthy Mutie
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 04:39 PM

QUOTE (darknessatnoon @ Mar 30 2017, 04:13 PM)
I actually hated her M-Word speech. It didn't read convincingly as Kitty Pryde. It read as Bendis lecturing us.

Yes.

It would've rang more true if it was her talking at someone, like someone of color, and dropping a bomb they might find super offensive.
PM
^
Phoenix Egg
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 07:50 PM

THEY'RE BACK!!!!

I dunno why we are back to this. If they want an n-word allegory, let it be 'gene-joke' or 'mutie' or something. They shouldn't hate the word mutant. So ridiculous.

QUOTE (darknessatnoon @ Mar 30 2017, 01:13 PM)

It was Bendis taking a shot at another writer (months after the controversy).

--------------------
"I don’t want you to get hurt but you have to understand… the more you annoy me the more I can’t help thinking about deconstructing you, molecule by molecule, memory by memory… until there’s nothing left but screaming, traumatized atoms."
PMEmail
^
Juggernaut Punch
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 11:00 PM

Moderator!!!

QUOTE (Phoenix Egg @ Mar 31 2017, 04:50 AM)

It was Bendis taking a shot at another writer (months after the controversy).

This.

I don't mind Remender getting called out, but it felt like a cheap ploy to get some attention by dogpiling on the guy everyone hated at the time.
PMEmail
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Mar 31 2017, 04:53 AM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

Kitty's words don't work here because it's not Kitty's stated belief and its not Xavier's mandate for the X-Men. I could be wrong but I personally took the X-Men as Xavier using actions to define people. He wanted the world to see Mutant Heroes (not one or the other) saving them. Protecting a world that hates and fears them. This helps to demonstrate that not all Mutants were bad. We're presuming in these early years that there were not many Mutants so most humans were basing their opinions off the actions of few, specifically the Evil Mutants who would commit criminal/terrorist acts. So by combating bad mutants to save Mutants and humans alike Xavier and Co could show that Mutants were not bad by nature, very Lockian to the Hobbesian hive mind.

Secondly because the aforementioned Bendis Speech, this doesn't really fit Kitty's character. Guggs was half right here. The X-Men need to go back to being heroes, not just mutant relief workers or teachers. But they shouldn't hide who they are. That's not their mission.

The hot take part is incoming. It's a wording problem. If we go back to the infamous M word speech. It had a lot of problems, some discussed here already. Mutant is not analogous to racial slurs. It's the official term of the species. Mutie or Gene Joke should be the slur. But hidden behind all of Remender's inexcusably bad speech bubbles was a valid point. In a non-X-Men, Avengers Unity setting, Havok didn't want to be seen as a mutant and then a hero. It'd be like on a team of all white Avengers and the Falcon, and Sam gets really fucking tired of being called "the black Avenger". He's an Avenger. Yes he's black. And he's not ashamed of being black. But why must it always be pointed out? Which Avenger was it? Not, the one with the wings. Not the one with a pet bird. Not the one that's good friends with cap. It's the black one. That would anger anyone. A lot of Remender's non-volatile social media posts after the fact stated that was what he was trying to convey. Ya know. In between telling ppl to drown in hobo piss. He just did a really really shitty job of communicating his idea onto the page.

I think Guggs was going for something similar here but it's harder to defend because there's canonical reasons that
A) Kitty wouldn't think that
cool.gif The X-Men as an organization wouldn't/shouldn't do that
PM
^
Kevin J ShadowPussy
 Posted: Mar 31 2017, 06:12 AM

Damn Lice

QUOTE (Lanfear @ Mar 30 2017, 06:39 PM)
this is disgusting she's practically an Inhuman, I knew there was something fishy with that boy haircut she got

No! I changed my username so we could start feuding on here. Go back to the spider.

who are you? You stink of public restroom

--------------------
FREE FONGJI
PMEmailWebsite
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Mar 31 2017, 07:24 AM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

QUOTE (Kevin J ShadowPussy @ Mar 31 2017, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Lanfear @ Mar 30 2017, 06:39 PM)

who are you? You stink of public restroom

Must be Aguja
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll