Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Underdog Recommendations
Fod_2K16
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 12:04 AM

Advanced Member

Here's the deal, you pick three comics you love to read and would highly recommend others to start reading. Nothing from DC or Marvel.

Try to avoid superhero comic as well. I realize Valiant comics is doing very good work with their shared superhero universe, but I would like encourage readers to branch out from the big 2 as well as the hypersaturated superhero genre.

Saga- Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Injection- Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey
iZombie- Chris Roberson and Mike Allred

Webcomics are acceptable and encouraged, finished runs are acceptable, and there is no date cut off.
PMEmail
^
Beezzi
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 11:01 AM

Happy 10th Anniversary!

Mmmm...I'd second Saga, but let's see something different and non-superhero related. Don't know if these apply, but off the top of my head:

Blackhole by Charles Burns (An oldie from 2005)
Brody's Ghost by Mark Crilley (A weird one, but I just love his detailed, clean pages)
The Perry Bible Fellowship by Nicholas Gurewitch (a webcomic - "Cave Explorer" might be one of the cruelest comics ever committed to paper. The original with the boxes, not the fake. ;-) )

--------------------
"I meditate and do yoga. I sit cross-legged and try not to levitate too much." - Jeremy Brett
PM
^
Fod_2K16
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 11:51 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Beezzi @ Jun 1 2015, 11:01 AM)
Mmmm...I'd second Saga, but let's see something different and non-superhero related. Don't know if these apply, but off the top of my head:

Blackhole by Charles Burns (An oldie from 2005)
Brody's Ghost by Mark Crilley (A weird one, but I just love his detailed, clean pages)
The Perry Bible Fellowship by Nicholas Gurewitch (a webcomic - "Cave Explorer" might be one of the cruelest comics ever committed to paper. The original with the boxes, not the fake. ;-) )

Go for it. I think some more unorthodox and experimental formats of storytelling within the comic book medium would do us all good.

Here is another I've been meaning to catch up on. It's a webcomic.
Lady Sabre and The Pirates of the Ineffable Aether

Your additions were perfect. Weird is good.
PMEmail
^
vitamin
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 12:03 PM

It's beautiful.

--------------------
I know, boo. I know ~ ted(d(y))
PM
^
Fod_2K16
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 12:21 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (vitamin @ Jun 1 2015, 12:03 PM)
http://charminglyantiquated.tumblr.com/tagged/story%20comic

Those were so awesome. I added that page to my bookmarks. Thanks for sharing it Vitamin!
PMEmail
^
vitamin
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 12:22 PM

It's beautiful.

No problem, foddy. smile.gif

--------------------
I know, boo. I know ~ ted(d(y))
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 12:30 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

Velvet - Brubaker and Epting <33333333333
Saga - Obvs
Walking Dead - Because even though crack isn't great, once you start it's real hard to stop until you've lost 50 lbs, and just can't bring yourself to suck dick anymore because your lips are that chapped.

I know there's better stuff out there but that's all I'm reading atm
PM
^
Beezzi
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 12:36 PM

Happy 10th Anniversary!

QUOTE (vitamin @ Jun 1 2015, 08:03 PM)
http://charminglyantiquated.tumblr.com/tagged/story%20comic

Never seen this before, but it's really good.

Thanks for the link.smile.gif.

QUOTE (AgentFelix @ Jun 1 2015, 08:30 PM)
Velvet - Brubaker and Epting <33333333333
Saga - Obvs
Walking Dead - Because even though crack isn't great, once you start it's real hard to stop until you've lost 50 lbs, and just can't bring yourself to suck dick anymore because your lips are that chapped.

I know there's better stuff out there but that's all I'm reading atm

OK, Felix, now I've seen a whole new side of you. Between you and Fod, a lady's delicate sensibilities just aren't safe...;-)

--------------------
"I meditate and do yoga. I sit cross-legged and try not to levitate too much." - Jeremy Brett
PM
^
Supernature
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 12:52 PM

Superior Homo

Seconding Saga and Velvet.

I started Fatale a while ago. I've read maybe half of it. Pretty good tbh. I need to catch up though.
I've read a couple of issues of C.O.W.L. and They're Not Like Us. I didn't hate them. Might keep reading.

Lazarus and Southern Bastards are on my "to read" list, but I haven't started yet.
PM
^
Kaiolino
 Posted: Jun 1 2015, 01:03 PM

#ILoveRogue

I'm reading Kill Shakespeare right now. It's really good. Juliet is a badass.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll