Add Reply
New Poll

Nexus, appreciation and discussion
PatriX
 Posted: May 9 2014, 08:14 AM

Another "x" in statistix

user posted image

I am a huge sucker for omnibuses, essentials, and etc.
I like it, when I have a lot to read for a reasonable price.
Damn, for a long time the marvel essentials were the only way
for me to catch-up with the classics.

So when Dark Horse published Nexus Omnibuses, I was more than eager to get them. Currently I am still reading them (finishing the first volume), but I feel like this is going to be one of my favorite indie comic all time (this and Usagi Yojimbo).

The comic book was a creation of Steve Rude and Mike Baron.
Mike Baron should be known to Marvel readers as a writer of The Punisher.
I always loved his take on the character, due to the fact that he put a lot of morality (without preaching), and like Claremont and PAD, he enjoyed discussing ethics and how they apply to reality. Also, the narration was always gorgeous.

About Steve Rude, here is a funny story about him by Jim Shooter (from his blog) that perfectly encapsulates his character:
"Sometime in 1979, I believe, Paul Gulacy called to ask a favor. Paul lived in Ohio back then, I think. He’d come home from somewhere one day to find a young man sitting on his lawn. A wannabe comic book artist, who absolutely worshipped Paul and his work.(...)The guy begged, insisted, demanded that Paul help him get employment as an artist for Marvel.(...)So, Paul called me and asked me as a favor to look at the guy’s portfolio.(...)

I said, sure. For you, Paul, no problem. Paul said the guy’s name was Steve Rude. A few days later, Steve Rude showed up at Marvel. (...) His samples, penciled comics pages, looked stylistically like Paul’s stuff—but the draftsmanship was very weak. (..) I launched into what I thought was a gentle, helpful, nice-as-I-could critique. (...)

He argued with me.(...)He absolutely insisted, demanded to be given full time work as an artist. He would not take no for an answer. And, he would not leave.
(...) I didn’t touch him (lol), no violence, no contact, but I sort of herded him back toward the reception room and pointed him toward the elevators.(...)

A few minutes later, I had reason to walk down the hall, headed toward Denny O’Neill’s office, I think. And there was the Dude in Al Milgrom’s office, showing his portfolio,(...). I chased him out again. Al told me that he’d claimed that I had looked at his “genius” work and sent him down the hall to see him, Al, who would give him a job. Al thought I had gone insane, or that the Dude must be blackmailing me or something.

Josie told me he’d hung around the reception room and when she’d buzzed the door open to let someone else in, he’d zipped in right behind them before the door closed. I told Josie if it happened again to call me right away. A few minutes later, on my way to the production department, as I passed Jim Salicrup’s office (I think) there he was again! (...)
He’d hung around the back door, by the mailroom—no receptionist there—and when someone opened it to go in or out, he’d slipped in again. I threw him out again and threatened to call the police. Three times in the space of half an hour I threw Steve Rude out of the Marvel offices.
(...)

Nowadays Steve Rude is considered one of the best artists.

The Nexus himself is similar to Punisher, but at the same time completely different. He is morally ambiguous hero as well, and very 80s.
Nexus mission is to kill dictators, or else he will have a painful headache to sum the plot short.

The comic is a mix of science-fiction with some grim 'n' grittiness, but at the same time there are comical characters too, like Badger.

I don't know how the Nexus saga ends, but I might update this thread with some posts.

If someone wants to participate in this thread, please don't be shy.

--------------------
formerly known as Chakal
I am a relic.
PMEmailWebsite
^
PatriX
 Posted: Aug 15 2015, 09:13 AM

Another "x" in statistix

I still have 3 more omnibuses to read, but jesus, a wonderful comic book.
There are plot holes, but it's worth hunting down.

--------------------
formerly known as Chakal
I am a relic.
PMEmailWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll