Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Star Trek: Discovery [CBS All Access, Int.Netflix]
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 06:39 AM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

@Fringe, fall down our Utopian rabbit hole with us!

Some more thoughts from last night that I forgot

-I will say, the Federation uniforms are fucking gorgeous though. It's a perfect way to bridge the ENT unis with the TOS ones. My only complaint is the use of Silver and Bronze for Science and Medical. It's more than a little tough in a quick shot to tell Gold from Bronze. No reason they couldn't have kept Gold/Blue/Red as the color scheme. But beyond that they look great.

-Yea the 3D holo communication was a thing I'm not a huge fan of. I get that on screen communications probably don't seem "futuristic" enough, but this is over millions/billions of miles for on screen communication. We can't do that now. Plus, again, being that nerd, there was entire episode about attempting 3D communication in DS9 which occurs 115 later? And yea we're ignoring the fact that Sarek sat on Burnham's desk while talking. Helluva furniture placement coincidence.

-I'm not a fan of the title either. It mostly feels like all build up with hardly any body. The nod to TNG at the beginning and TOS at the end is nice, but unnecessary. Kinda wish they had tried to make it, it's own theme. Jerry Goldsmith has to be alive I'd think. That's one thing that was nice about DS9/VOY. 2 distinct, clearly simliar sounding songs that all had their own identity.

Hard to believe TNG hit it's 30th anniversary this weekend. Wowza.
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 08:32 AM

Also, just saw on Reddit (I certainly missed this) that Burnham can be seen switching her phaser from stun to kill before she shot T'Kuvma.
PM
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 10:03 AM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

There's a new trek book out too and according to that Starfleet has multiple uniforms and ship designs going on at one time. So these new uniforms are running concurrent with the TOS uniforms from the pilot with Pike. I do love the new ones much more. They're so sleek and eye catching. I just wish it wasn't wasted on a prequel.

I think realistically Trek *always* had the hologram tech but it was inefficient compared to using the screens. I think that DS9 episode with O'Brien had him fixing/updating the hologram communications so it already existed but out of use. Like how flip phones still exist even though everyone has moved on to smart phones.

Or at least that's how I see it, lol.

Yea, I noticed the gun thing when it was happening. The signature turned red when Michael shot the gun. I was like "oh shit, she killed him" lol.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 01:28 PM

Oooo what's the book?
PM
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 01:45 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Desperate Hours by David Mack.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 08:20 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ep 3:

- I already know these mouth breather fans are going to go apeshit because a breath bio scan lock was used here when it wasn't used anywhere else. It's not exactly high tech shit. It's actually surprisingly low-tech for Trek or really any sci-fi show set in the future.

- Cool, so I'm into this Captain Lorca character and the JERK of a security officer.

- I would have liked the scene on that other ship more if I could actually see what was going on. I get what they were going for but this ain't The Blair Witch Project, they could have used a little more lighting.

- The most unbelievable thing this show has done is saying the fucking Beatles will still be relevant enough in the future to garner cover bands. Sure, Jan.

More thoughts to come later in the week...

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 2 2017, 04:02 PM

Quick reaction is, this was the pilot we were waiting for, and I enjoyed it tremendously. It wasn't flawless by any stretch, but I'm just happy Star Trek is back.

Biggest complaint of this episode is whiny insubordinate science officer whining about the Captain at every turn.
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 4 2017, 05:40 AM

Discovery has the juices pumping and I've reopened the wormhole. The wife and I watched all of TNG and DS9 and a little over a season of Voyager before losing steam, sparked by the release of ST: Into Darkness. I've started watching Enterprise now, since it's shorter and for time reasons. If I still have the motivation after, I'll power through TOS and Voyager
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 6 2017, 08:09 PM

Forgot to come back and do this. I liked 3. A lot. There's a lot of room to play here in this world.

-Most of the crew members they introduced will be fine characters. Although the scientist is beyond a tool. Intended I know but Jesus

-The Captain works well as a probably bad, but sorta mysterious figure. Someone pointed out, that with the Utopian Captain not being the POV character, that might be how Captains seem in certain environments to enlisted people, and officers without direct contact.

-The science of what they're doing is really interesting, especially since it seems to work, but that we know it won't be widespread in the Federation. Someone half jokingly mentioned maybe that's how S31 agents always appeared in people's rooms unnoticed. Shroom Drive technology!

-The prisoners dining in the crew mess hall was just stupid. I don't care if it's a science ship. Every vessel has a brig and a place they can feed prisoners that's not the crew/officers mess. That's just lazy writing.

-I liked the away mission, the creepy doom monster thing was interesting as well. You can also see with the gruesome deaths the other crew suffered an extra reason they didn't want this on CBS proper.

-I like Burnham's relationship with Saru a lot.

-I wish Burnham acted more like a Vulcan. Star Trek does the fish out of water character a LOT. The half Vulcan/Human, the Klingon adopted by humans trapped between cultures, the Android seeking humanity, etc etc etc. A human raised by Vulcans is the perfect opportunity to turn that on it's head. And while she didn't seem as all over the place as in the prologue movie thingie, she still seemed like a level headed human, more than a person who had spent her entire developmental life with Vulcans. Unless it's all just been phased out of her in 7 years on the Shenzhou? In which case, I feel that we missed some great character stories there. Oh well.
PM
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 07:00 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lol, I forgot to come back and finish mine too. Yes, I also enjoyed this episode a lot more than the first 2 even though I liked the first 2 a lot.

- As I said before, I really like Captain Lorca so far. Lorca takes a stance of situational morality; there isn’t one answer that’s always right; an action that may be unjustified in a time of peace might be the only legitimate course in a time of war. And he has seemingly taken up that stance with little to no support or understanding from his crew until he meets Michael. Someone he believes to "get" what it means to be a Starfleet officer in times of war.

- I like the dynamic between Stamets & Lorca. The little "rant" Stamets had in the shuttle before landing on the U.S.S. Glenn clarified his disdain of Captain Lorca, imo. Stamets is a scientist who wants to discover new ways to make the universe better but instead his life's work has been co-opted by the militaristic needs of the Federation. It reminded me of J. Robert Oppenheimer and how he ended up regretting creating the atomic bomb because how it was used. Captain Lorca wants the spore drive for the purpose of aiding the war effort and that's not what Stamets envisioned for his work. Both are ultimately right in their thinking: Captain Lorca knows the importance of not losing the war in which they're already taking heavy casualties and Stamets knows that great discoveries and innovations need to be used to make things better not contribute to tearing things apart.

- The Tardigrade is interesting and I feel like Lorca wants to weaponize it against the Klingons. But those things are supposed to be indestructible, he'll need to find a way to control it completely and find a possible weakness for insurance.

- I liked most, if not all, of the new characters shown this episode. Tilly was nice and her awkwardly bubbly personality served as a nice contrast to everyone else.

- The only thing I would change about the episode is the Alice in Wonderland scene in the Jeffries tube. I didn’t have a problem with it necessarily, but it would have flowed better if it had been previously alluded to. Like if she mentioned it was her favorite book earlier or we got a flashback of Amanda reading it to her. The way it played out was kind of awkward.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll