Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Star Trek: Discovery [CBS All Access, Int.Netflix]
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 7 2017, 09:10 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

I guess my main issue with Stamets was a feeling of jealousy that he back talked his captain beyond what I thought was ok but they say nothing, even though everyone was content to shit on Burnham for what she did
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 9 2017, 06:27 AM

I keep liking this better and better. I feel that this episode helped woo over a lot of Trek traditionalists too. Lot of good stuff in here.
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 9 2017, 07:00 AM

Unrelated, I've been rewatching Enterprise ever since the new show started. It's not nearly as frustrating when it's not coming straight on the heels of Voyager which ended 227 years later. I remember being so pissy in 2001 about so many things they did. And just about every episode left you screaming "JUST USE THE TRANSPORTER". But years removed from all forms of Trek, and you actually get the feeling of exploration out of this show. It's still flawed to be sure, but it's been a fun watch.

15 episodes in and there's only been 2 overtly weird and over the top sexualized moments involving T'Pol. You know, awkward "Troi style" uniform aside.

Edit: As I'm typing this, s1e15 contained 3rd awkward sexual T'Pol moment.
PM
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 08:37 AM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ep 4

- Upon closer inspection, it's clear that Landry was more than partially responsible for that botched simulation on the bridge. That explains her behavior later a bit more.

- I'm really enjoying the Saru/Michael dynamic. It has a real Spock/Bone vibe about it. They respect each other but also kinda hate one another. It's interesting to watch.

- I feel bad for Stamets because he never wanted to be part of a war, but at this point he is. Everyone is. He needs to resign himself to that (for the time being) and work to the best of his abilities. But I still love his contentious relationship with Captain Lorca. And it was nice to see him getting along with Michael this time.

- Flirting Klingons! Honestly, L'Rell and VoQ had more sexual tension in their 3 scenes than Riker & Troi did the entirety of TNG.

- Speaking of VoQ, I read a fan theory about how "The Matriarchs" will experiment on him and turn him into a human spy (Lt. Ash Tyler) and that's why L'Rell told VoQ he would lose "everything" and also why the casting of his character has been so under wraps this whole time. There's also the thing where actor who played Lt Ash was originally cast as Kol but switched roles before filming started. I'm on the fence with it but I also would be hella interested if it's true.

- Back to Commander Landry, I was surprised by what happened but at the same time, I wasn't. Every decision she made was selfish and self-serving and personal. She wanted to gain Lorca's favor back after she lost it earlier and because of that she refused to listen to reason and rushed to get results. At the very least, Michael was able to get some good & helpful data to back up her thesis but still.

There's more and I'll get to that later

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 11:39 AM

Wow, once again, I didn't realize I didn't share either lol. (I have a group chat with friends where we discuss right after the episode in short IM bursts, and then I forget to collect those thoughts to post here)

On VoQ, I've read tons of theories that this is how they're actually going to tie in Enterprise and the Augment virus. That only a segment of Klingons were affected and lost their ridges, and that he will be one who voluntarily does it and strikes out winning many victories for the Empire. And that may be why in TOS, all the Klingons appear as they do. Because the house that backs VoQ takes lead in the Empire.

Agree on Stamets. He was a lot more likeable this episode because he didn't seem like a petulant version of MIchael who wasn't getting punished. I really see his angle in all of it, and agree on his relationship with Lorca and Burnham's with Saru.

Security douche got to be a high profile red-shirting, so there's that.

Also, for those whining, this episode FELT like Star Trek. It tied into the greater plot driven story that the 2010's command, but it had a self contained story in the rescue of the mining colony AND a moral quandry in the treatment of Ripper. Who was better utilized as a nav system for the engine than an out and out weapon. Lorca got what he wanted, Burnham got what she wanted. But at the same time, the sad revelation at the end that jumping hurts Ripper is probably another breadcrumb as to why the DASH drive isn't wide spread or seen anywhere later in the Trek world.

I was prepared to overlook a lot of bs in the name of just having more modernized Trek, but it seems they really did go out of their way to have this all make sense, while having a more modern tone.

I love the ship to death too. The idea that it's an entire vessel devoted purely to studying the DASH drive is awesome, and so very science-y. We're so used to the Enterprise being the flagship of the fleet even though it's for exploration, whereas the science vessels tended to be smaller. Discovery is huge, but the fact that the whole saucer section spins as part of the drive? That's cool design functionality. And helps balance out why a science vessel is so effing big.

i am interested to see if the other characters get more screen time. We're already starting to see scenes (like the ones between Lorca and Stamets) that don't involve Burnham but aren't a Klingon interlude. I have absolutely no problem with this having a dedicated main character (let's be real, Treks always did), but I would like for it to focus on the ensemble a bit more. I relate it kind of like Grey's Anatomy, in the beginning when comparing that show to ER, it was VERY Meredith centric. But as time went on, even though she was the star, the ensemble all got their own fair share of focus and attention to augment her presence. I would like to see that out of DIS(or DSC or STD) as well.

All in all, I'm still loving this. It's still not a 10/10 but I'm addicted and can't wait for each new episode.

PS: Neckbeard Outro, it is kinda funny that the new uniforms are in use at this time, considering in both the Prime and Kelvin Universe, Captain Pike was out and about on the 1701 at the exact same time wearing the TOS Uniforms. It's whatever though. I'm sure a line of throwaway dialogue will be developed at some point to rationalize that away. I absolutely love them though. They're a perfect blend of being between the NASA style ENT uniforms and TOS uniforms. Only actual complaint is that they went with gold/silver/copper instead of gold/blue/red for colors. Not that Starfleet has a ton of consistency, but going from the ENT scheme, to this and then back, seems a bit odd. I guess they thought Silver and Copper would contrast better against the deep blue of the uniforms than Teal and Red....maybe. Personally it's hard for me to tell the difference between the copper and the gold half the time at a quick glance.
PM
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 03:03 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yea, I keep forgetting to post here sometimes too. I'm in the DSC facebook group so I normally post there about the show but I like to come here and hash out my various thoughts.

The uniforms haven't been explained in-show, obviously, but it has been explained in the new trek book. It's a simple observation (by Spock, I think?) about how Starfleet is trying out different styles of uniforms and ship designs simultaneously. So the TOS uniforms are clearly still out there but the DSC uniforms are making the rounds as well.

As for the coloring, it's supposed to be similar to the color scheme Pike was sporting in the pilot of TOS. But I think they switched something out for the copper? Idr.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 04:16 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

QUOTE (AgentFelix @ Oct 6 2017, 11:09 PM)

-I wish Burnham acted more like a Vulcan. Star Trek does the fish out of water character a LOT. The half Vulcan/Human, the Klingon adopted by humans trapped between cultures, the Android seeking humanity, etc etc etc. A human raised by Vulcans is the perfect opportunity to turn that on it's head. And while she didn't seem as all over the place as in the prologue movie thingie, she still seemed like a level headed human, more than a person who had spent her entire developmental life with Vulcans. Unless it's all just been phased out of her in 7 years on the Shenzhou? In which case, I feel that we missed some great character stories there. Oh well.

I've been meaning to come back and reply to this but I wanted to wait until after ep 4. I completely agree with everything you've said. Burnham has spent her formative years on Vulcan but for the last 3 episodes, she has acting more human than the other humans. It's vexing to see because the concept of a human raised Vulcan is very interesting but the execution has not been great. I think episode 4 was a vast improvement on that front. She was more calm & collected but still displaying an emotional insight into her actions. It was finally a good Human/Vulcan mix.

But still, you're right that she has been portrayed more as a level-headed human than a human raised vulcan. In the future, I hope the show can finally find the perfect balance but until then I think more of Burnham from ep 4 would be better than Burnham from eps 1-3

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 05:49 PM

I'll be damned. You're right. In the Cage, the uniforms were 2 shades of off gold and a silverish blue.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfle...s)#Duty_uniform

Also of note, the presumed earlier launch date of Enterprise (2245) helps describe why some of the stuff is older, like the Shenzhou. Other people theorize that possible conflicts with the Romulans will "force Starfleet into a more analog age" for a time. Which is inventive to say the least, but an obvious stretch.

I'm in season 2 of Enterprise now. Actually think I'm going to go from this to TOS when done.

They're also a good progression of the 2230's uniforms seen worn by the USS Kelvin crew if not a little more formal. But that works for me, looks more Navy, which it should.
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 15 2017, 07:30 PM

some pretty blatant fan service here and idgaf
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Oct 15 2017, 08:26 PM

user posted image

-Yes the fan service. Archer, April, Decker, Georgiou. I appreciate it. Although it's hilarious to believe that no captain between Archer and the 2250's was worth a damn.

-Storyline surrounding Ripper was great, and Stamets is easily one of my favorites now.

-Love that we got what I wanted, an episode without Burnham as the focus person. Give us the ensemble a bit, we still know who the star is.

-Reddit seems to think that Lt. Tyler is VoQ. I didn't notice this live but God Damn does it make sense. Worth noting, IMDB says the actor who plays VoQ is only in 3 episodes. But Lt. Tyler is a main cast member listed in all 15 eps (even though this was his first appearance). https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/...r_pain/dof8som/

-For those who suspect that innocent little Cadet Tilly is actually a S31 plant who's rooming with Burnham to keep an eye on her, that little lunchtime convo is some good ammunition.

-Be free Ripper!

-I really like the Doctor (didn't catch his name), especially when he stood up to Saru.

-I feel bad for Saru here. You can really tell his stance and situation on things, especially when it comes to what he divulges to Burnham. He's making what seem to be terrible and unethical decisions and not ones I can condone, but I can see and understand the pressure he's under.

-Lol @ Lorca doing the TOS era double fist punch.

-Klingon Ship looked cool, but there was no need to name drop it as a D7 battlecruiser if it was going to be a completely new ship. Just saying.

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more later.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5 
Add Reply
New Poll