Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 03:53 PM

I don't lactate.

How important is Poes role in this compared to TFA?

--------------------
Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?
PM
^
Kaiolino
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 03:56 PM

#ILoveRogue

A lot bigger.
PM
^
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 04:21 PM

I don't lactate.

Dammit Disney

--------------------
Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 05:11 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

QUOTE (Kaiolino @ Dec 15 2017, 06:56 PM)
A lot bigger.

This. I'm glad that he argued with JJ to not be written out last time. His character is great.
PM
^
The Big G
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 05:15 PM

BROLY POWER MAXIMUUUUUUUUUUUUM

Poe has the single best character arc in the movie
PMWebsite
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 07:00 PM

Still Endangered

QUOTE (The Big G @ Dec 15 2017, 09:15 PM)
Poe has the single best character arc in the movie

Uh, excuse me? Chewie coming around to tolerate/like the Porgs??? I love those little demons!

But not more than I loved the space horses. What cemented my love of them for me was, that scene when Finn was like, "We need more cover!" and the horse led the herd into a building. It understands! They're actually smart! Which makes me feel even worse about how they were treated.

So anyway, I loved this whole movie. I never understood criticisms of The Force Awakens. Not any of them. Particularly not the one that it was too much like the original. No idea where that came from. I suspect South Park.

This one paid similar homage to the original. SPOILERS:
all the characters being seperated doing their own thing while the Jedi hero was away for training with the old, reclusive master, Kylo and Rey having that Leia and Luke telepathic connection, how the whole thing played out with Kylo wanting Rey to join him and her being like, "don't do this". Honestly, even the way the movie is trying to make the romantic pairing ambiguous by throwing out a bunch of red herrings reminds me of the original trilogy. I still say it's gonna be FinnRey in the end. Also until the end I hadn't realized Rey and Poe had never met?

My favorite scenes were #1 Leia's badass floating through space. When the movie started I was holding my breath waiting for when they'd kill Leia since we lost Carrie Fisher (RIP). When they blew up the bridge and the camera focused on her floating through space, I teared up, and was like, "oh this must be it..." BUT THEN SHE OPENED HER EYES AND FLEW THROUGH THE AIR BETTER THAN HER BROTHER HAS EVER DONE!!! THROUGH THE VACUUM OF SPACE!!!

Iconic. Amazing.

Next great scene was the whole thing with Luke projecting himself across the galaxy, and Kylo being so easily baited into it because he's a petulant child. Loved it. Wonderful. Luke is such an ass, and it's great that he hasn't changed in all these years.

I also enjoyed the first scene when Poe and the pilots did that thing. I also liked that Holda (or whatever) wasn't a coward, or wrong, and actually had a great plan to sacrifice herself to save everyone, and that the lesson was Poe's to learn about not being a hothead. That was good. Rose and Finn's little sidequest ultimately amounted to nothing, so I have to believe Benicio's code breaker character will play a role later on, otherwise that whole thing was meaningless.

I did like Luke revealing his shame about how the whole Kylo thing started. Just his bad luck that he woke up before he could resheath that sword I guess. Yoda tried to tell him years ago that fear was his weakness. Oh well.

There's probably a lot more, but it's a lot to unpack. Again I really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like a long movie to me even though it was. All my favorite characters got great character beats. Even Kylo, who I despise, had good character moments (even though I despised them). I did like when he couldn't blow up his mother. I also don't believe anything he said about Rey's parents. First, he has no way of knowing that. Second, didn't we see a flashback of young Rey crying at Luke's burning Baby Jedi Camp? So she was there for some reason...I do like their message about "anyone can be a hero" and it doesn't just have to revolve around this super special (tbh tainted and clearly emotionally unstable) bloodline. But I also think she's gonna have special parentage. I can't shake that her and Kylo are related, because the telepathic connection was so reminiscent of Luke and Leia.

Poe greets BB-8 the same way I greet my dogs. Loved that scene btw, Finn! Rose! You guys didn't die! Where's my droid? OMG BB-8 I LOVE YOU!!!!!

BB-8 was super adorable btw. Didn't get as much shine as in the first one, but still. And R2 playing that message was such an R2 thing to do!
PM
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 09:01 PM

I didn't mind the ode to IV in VII so long as the entire trilogy wasn't as close. And as this turned out, I'm completely fine by it.

My complaints with VII were

1. Starkiller base didn't work for me. It didn't provide any real stakes. The ending sequence on the ground was great to me. Didn't know what was coming. Shock and emotion. Loss of a main character. It was personal and it felt great. Starkiller had the least investment for a starfight in this series since the TPM one with Jake Lloyd. Additionally, it repeated a sin of of IV in the destruction of the Hosnian system. We have no connection there. We've never seen it. We have no reason to relate to it and understand that loss. They told, when the rule is "show don't tell". Imagine if we had Hosnia Prime and the Republic visible for half the movie or a whole movie, and then it's destroyed. We feel it just like we feel Han's loss.

2. On the topic of the Republic, you can tell they were too scared to establish the Galactic Status Quo. We didn't need Senate scenes again, I get that. But not addressing why there's a Resistance, when the Republic exists, or how the Republic and the First Order relate, even with a few throwaway lines was confusing. And this ties into the last point. Had we seen some Republic etc etc.

I think I had a 3rd one but I can't remember now.
PM
^
The Big G
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 09:05 PM

user posted image
user posted image
PMWebsite
^
The Big G
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 09:11 PM

So I know a bunch of people didn't like the Canto Bite stuff. I've just figured out how they could have made their time there SOOO much better.

SPOILERS:
So instead of the whole BS chase plot/hyperspace tracker. Have the resistance get away, while Leia leads a delegation to CB to negotiate for some allies/money/weapons and actually spend time there instead of "LETS FIND THE CODEBREAKER AND WAR PROFITEERING IS BAD" message. Have Laura Dern's character be from Canto negotiating with Leia.

All the while Kylo and Rey have more Force Skype talks.

PMWebsite
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 10:47 PM

@BigG, spoilers much?
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll