Add Reply
New Poll

Redbirth Roundup, DC Rebirth Issues Discussion and Spoiler
AgentFelix
 Posted: Jun 3 2016, 10:53 AM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

June 1st Edition

Batman Rebirth #1: A solid read but not the biggest change in direction from Snyder's run so far. The fight against Calendar Man is interwoven with the story of Duke Thomas coming to the Wayne estate by invite from Bruce. He tries to tell Bruce he doesn't need to have a Batman to be Robin. Bruce says he wants to try something different and gives him a yellow battlesuit with a bat logo on the front. He tags along in the fight against Calendar Man, and then is shown training with Bruce at the end.

idk. Not much to say. It was solid and I'll keep reading, but I was already reading Batman. Really love the costume redesign though, especially when people emphasize the purple on the underside of the cape.

user posted image

Green Arrow Rebirth #1: Spectacular read. I've never read a GA title but it was fun and serious all at the same time. The political themes are heavy in the book, as they should be but it doesn't come off as cringe worthy as some of the early issues of Nick Spencer's run on Sam Wilson. And the art is gorgeous. It has the stylings of a Saturday morning cartoon but extreme detail when necessary. The blend is perfect. I almost didn't grab this to read, but I'm glad I did. Loved it. Although, while the politics do fit with the title, Ollie self identifying as a Social Justice Warrior had me cackle aloud. Plot wise it centers around Ollie helping out a group of homeless people who have been abducted and bumping into Dinah Lance for his first teamup with the Black Canary. It becomes obvious in the the issue that although they can't recall, it's possible that they've met before. Ollie doesn't even think twice about bringing her back to his apartment after meeting her for 5 min and not knowing her name. All in all, definitely getting added to the pull list.

user posted image

Green Lanterns #1: Haven't had this much fun reading a Lantern title since Soule left Red Lanterns. And haven't enjoyed a GL book this much since Geoff Johns left the first time around. We get a look at Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz in their personal lives. Simon is dealing with racism in his community, and Jessica is finally overcoming her fears (but perhaps not by choice) and going out to see her sister play softball. We get nice little character moments to establish their personalities before they are called away to an emergency at the same time. They meet and fail to dispatch with a manhunter that Hal has sent after them. Turns out it was a test and they failed (surprise!). After watching them argue, Hal summons both of their power batteries (Jessica didn't even knew she had one yet) and then fuses them together into a Green Lantern version of the "Get-Along-Shirt". He then says that the corps has some Sinestro related bullshit to attend to (SEE: SOME COMIC THAT'S NOT OUT FOR A MONTH!) and that Earth is theirs to protect. He also introduces them to the Justice League and says that they'll have help to be trained.

I enjoyed the issue immensely. Started following GL around Blackest Knight and read all the way back to Green Lantern Rebirth. Quality has definitely dipped of late, and part of that deals with art and coloring. Phillip Tan isn't a tire fire, but the art style he's been using hasn't been great with the Lantern titles. I really like the heavy green on black contrast that was in play here. Also we get a glimpse of our future antagonists, Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns.

user posted image

Superman Rebirth #1: This issue, unlike all the others except for perhaps Batman, felt transitional. Knowing that Jonathan Kent is going to be a feature part of the Superman book, and that it's Tomasi/Gleason, I get the feeling that Superman is going to mirror those creators' Batman and Robin. However, this issue was just fallout from the death of New 52 Superman, inching us towards the implementation of old Superman as "the" Superman. It plays out as a long dialogue between Pre-Flashpoint Clark and New 52 Lana Lang on what they're planning on doing with Clark's body. Lana wants to move his remains from the memorial to be by his parents. Superman wants to find a regeneration matrix like he had after Doomsday and bring him back. He needs to know where the fortress is though. Lana takes him and they can't find the artifact. He slowly realizes perhaps resurrection isn't on the table for this Clark. He helps Lana with the relocation of the remains to Kansas and moves along. A good read but it didn't feel enough like what the actual series will be. It was almost like a "Confession" book, like Marvel started bombing us with after the Civil War one was such a hit.

user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll