Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Who is THE MAIN CHARACTER of the X-Men?, Inspired by Kai
Satan
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 01:38 PM

frostitute

QUOTE (Kaiolino @ Dec 4 2017, 07:09 AM)
I feel like Cyclops is #2 again because the fans can't stop whining about how unfair it is that Wolverine and Jean are back but not the MAIN CHARACTER of the X-Men, as well as the bizarre link they've made between Singer being a pedophile rapist and Cyclops' small role in the movies (because Cyclops is a big bag of manly testosterone).

Every fanbase feels strongly about their X-faves and how X-Men would crumble without them. We've also seen writers trying to push their favorites to feel like X-Men are unsustainable without them. Are X-Men more than sum of it's parts? Can you differentiate and put one character above them all? The character that absolutely defines whole X-Men experience? Does X-Men brand transcend it's bearers? Let's discuss, since we don't discuss nothing anymore.
PMEmail
^
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 02:01 PM

I don't lactate.

It changes depending on the era. Theres not much of an era rn but u could argue Jeen. Before that and since Whedon it was definitely Cyclops. Even in the 90s u could make a case for Scott. Before that, Storm between Mutant Massacre and 1991, Kitty post DPS and Jean before her.

--------------------
Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?
PM
^
Satan
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 02:06 PM

frostitute

Charlie X doesn't count at all? How do we measure who is the main character? By the page count writer is giving to the character's story? By the overall importance of the character's struggle to the main themes of X-Men's fight? By the character's importance to the team? Is the main character leader of the team?
PMEmail
^
Kaiolino
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 02:09 PM

#ILoveRogue

If there's a main character it means the comic or linewide direction is bad.
PM
^
Satan
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 02:13 PM

frostitute

So, what you're trying to say, oh, inspiring one, is that one X-Man can never be above all and that X-Men are sum of it's parts not the other way around?
PMEmail
^
Kaiolino
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 02:14 PM

#ILoveRogue

I love it when you turn my words into beautiful prose.
PM
^
Satan
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 02:18 PM

frostitute

I love it when you turn my brain on.

X-Men taking their spot in Tree of Life which confirms that X-Men are stronger as whole, not when they work alone.

user posted image
PMEmail
^
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 03:12 PM

I don't lactate.

QUOTE (Satan @ Dec 4 2017, 11:06 PM)
Charlie X doesn't count at all? How do we measure who is the main character? By the page count writer is giving to the character's story? By the overall importance of the character's struggle to the main themes of X-Men's fight? By the character's importance to the team? Is the main character leader of the team?

The rare times he was actually a prptagonist was Professor Carey epic journey of self discovery but that was very peripheral to the overall narrative of the era and occasionally in Claremonts run. Otherwise he was never really the one carrying the story.

Madelyne might have shared the spotlight with Storm during late 80s. Also while centralizing the whole narrative around one character is dumb, having a definitive pov character isnt necessarily a bad thing. Kitty in the early 80s.

--------------------
Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 03:58 PM

Still Endangered

I have my favorites like anyone, but I've always preferred the X-Men as an ensemble. I think that's why I can honestly say I don't dislike any X-character (except fantomex).The characters need to bounce off each other to be dynamic and engaging. The whole interesting thing about them was the fun mix of powers and personalities, right?

Like, which would you rather have: a delicious pizza, or a cold slab of dough, a can of tomato sauce, and a hunk of cheese?
PM
^
Filthy Mutie
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 04:19 PM

At the end of the day, the X-Men are not about one character, and they are greater than the sum of all their parts. Arcs may be more focused on a character or two, but that's just the episode and not the series.

When writers forget this, we run into trouble; when they remember, then you can make dis-likable characters likable.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll