Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Who is THE MAIN CHARACTER of the X-Men?, Inspired by Kai
AgentFelix
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 04:40 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

Everyone is saying similar stuff, and I can't disagree. It's why I hated all the character appreciation and metaphoric phallic comparisons on CBR. Who gives a shit if Storm or Rachel have more on panel time. I don't care about featz threads, or blah blah blah blah blah. The characters need each other. They are not the Justice League, nor the Avengers. This isn't a collection of individual heroes with their own corners of the universe. This is about the X-Men as a family, and their individual supporting cast mates are EACH OTHER. It's why I think most of the solos are hot garbage. I can't suspend disbelief enough to think that one of these characters is off gallivanting on adventures on their own not calling for help. It works in a mini-or maxi context. But outside of Wolvie the ongoings have never resonated like JL or Avengers ones.

So like everyone else, I may have reasoned or baseless affections for certain characters and their role in a team, but the team could survive without many if not all of them for a certain period of time. At it's best, you have A listers, but absolutely no main characters.
PM
^
Juggernaut Punch
 Posted: Dec 5 2017, 12:51 PM

Moderator!!!

I agree that the X-Men have always been the sum of their parts. Unlike the Avengers or the JLA, where the point of the book was to bring a bunch of characters that were already succesful and popular on their own as solo characters into one book, the X-Men were conceived and developed as a team from the very start.

That said, like others have pointed out, there have definitely been eras where the narrative of the central X-Book has been tilted towards one character.

I've never felt that any of the solos, including Wolverine, hold a candle to the team books. Trying to put the focus primarily on whoever happens to be the leader of the team has always fallen flat. Storm during Lemire's run, Logan during Aaron's run, Kitty during Guggenheims run are stellar examples. I feel like it worked best with Cyclops because being the leader had traditionally been his role.
PMEmail
^
RLAAMJR.
 Posted: Dec 23 2017, 10:36 PM

Storm's #1 Fan Forever!

The answer is Ororo Munroe aka Storm!

--------------------
"Lightning, deliver this place from darkness!" - Storm in X-men TAS

"Do you know what happens to a toad when struck by lightning? Same thing that happens to everything else." - Storm in first X-men Movie.
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll