Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Wonder Woman [Film 2017]
Fod_2K16
 Posted: Nov 3 2016, 10:57 AM

Advanced Member

I watched some clips of BvS. Gail Gadot was the only good part of all of those clips. I'm hyped for Gail Gadot as Wonder Woman.
PMEmail
^
AgentFeliX
 Posted: Jun 2 2017, 10:26 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

I liked it. A lot. It wasn't perfect by any means, but I really enjoyed it.
PM
^
Supernature
 Posted: Jun 6 2017, 10:03 AM

Superior Homo

Seeing this in 30 minutes.

Excited !
PM
^
Supernature
 Posted: Jun 6 2017, 01:25 PM

Superior Homo

It was enjoyable (I feel like it's ovehyped already tho LOL).

Anyway, the parts in Themyscira and London were the best.

Final act was mess if we're being honest, especially the fight against Ares. It was like one of those Dragon Ball fights where you're like... "It's over now? oh I guess it's not. Now? Still no". Shit went on for too long.

I'd still give it a 7.5/10 tho. Overall it was the movie it needed to be.
PM
^
Supernature
 Posted: Jun 11 2017, 05:07 AM

Superior Homo

Actually enjoyed this a bit more on second viewing.
PM
^
Juggernaut Punch
 Posted: Jun 21 2017, 03:44 PM

Moderator!!!

Okay so I hated this movie and I need to rant.

SPOILERS:
I saw an article that pointed out that while this movie has a female lead and a female director, it was written solely by men. It shows.

This movie really fails, both in being an entertaining flick and a feminist movie. Let's start with Wonder Woman herself.

Wonder Woman spends the entire movie being led around by what's-his-face (I can't remember his name) and his merry band of men. None of her actions run contrary to his agenda.
And that's the biggest problem with this movie. Wonder Woman isn't a strong, independant female character. She's a tool. A tool created by men, and used by men in their machinations. She was created by Zeus to destroy Ares, which she does, and the male lead uses her as little more than a blunt instrument to achieve his own goals.

Despite being from a matriarchal utopia, a society without men, she never reacts to the fact that women are second class citizens in the rest of the world. She never confronts it, never comments on it, never rejects it. All she does is give dumbfounded stares when she's confronted by the rampant sexism of the world in 1918. The whole thing is played as a joke on her expense during the scenes in London, and then promptly forgotten about.

Her romantic relationship with what's-his-face is extremely boring, and really serves no purpose to the story. The climax plays the relationship up as having redeemed her view of men and mankind in general, but it's like it was lifted from another movie, because the Wonder Woman we are introduced to has an extremely high opinion of mankind from the start, and shows no prejudice whatsoever towards men. On top of that, the relationship reads like it was written by a 12 year old (then again, so does the rest of the movie).

Portraying Wonder Woman as a star struck country girl really wasn't the way to go. The fish out of water element isn't a bad idea, nor is playing on her naivete, but this movie goes way too far. It essentially makes her out to be a complete idiot. Completely and utterly naive, awed by everything she sees, and completely oblivious to the world around her. For this movie to have worked, Wonder Woman needed to be a harder character. Less positively inclined towards men and the outside world, more haughty and dissmissing, more dominant. I get that Warner are trying to move away from the stern angry heroes that have marred their films for years now, but going to the other extreme is equally dumb.

Wonder Woman isn't the only place where the movie drops the ball from a feminist point of view. What's-his-face trying to seduce Doctor Poision and almost succeeding, because obviously all she really wants is a man to love her. That's pretty much her motivation throughout the whole movie. She does what she does because Ludendorff gives her attention, and she's almost ready to sell him out when a more handsome man pays her attention.

Speaking of the villains, that really was the weakest point of the movie. Ludendorff and Doctor Poison look and act like villains from a saturday morning cartoon show. The whole "Ludendorff is Ares" turning out to be a red herring felt completely out of left field, and a waste to boot. David Thewlis is a great actor, but good god is he miscast as the god of war. Seeing his moustachioed face photoshopped onto a buff body was hillarious for all the wrong reasons. His plan makes no sense whatsoever. In what possible way does negotiating armistices help him in his plans to foster war and wipe out mankind?

Another big problem in this movie is its depictions of history. It does what I was most afraid it would do; it portrays the Germans as the villains. It is established as soon as we meet our male lead that the Germans are the bad guys, and the British/Entente are the good guys. This is a gross misconception of the first world war. They seemed to try to excuse it by blaming it on Ares, but since we find out that Ares had never really been controlling anyone (which makes it really confusing when the German soldiers breathe sighs of relief after he dies), it means that the Germans really were "evil" all along. At best, they're basically Orcs from LOTR.

The movie completely ignores the fact that the Entente were just as guilty of a myriad of crimes and brutalities during WWI as the Germans/Central Powers. I cringed at the fact that Germany's use of poison gas was such a central plot, when the truth of the matter is that not only did the Entente also use poison gas in WWI, they started doing it before Germany; France was the first country to deploy a gas attack in the war.

This pinning the blame on Germany really undermines the movie's final point; that there is evil in the hearts of all mankind, but also potential for good. Wonder Woman needed to be confronted with this fact far earlier in the movie, not at the very end after having spent almost an hour and a half raving about Ares. There are some threads that seem to point in this direction but they're never followed up on. Wonder Woman seeing first hand the horrors of war by witnessing the crippling wounds of returning soldiers, the PTSD of the Scottish sniper and the chaos and brutality of live combat should make her question alll that she's learned about fighting. And yet it doesn't stop her from charging into combat in high spirits, killing Germans left and right.

The scenes with Chief and Sammy alluding to their suffering at the hands of the "good guys" should also be important. Chief revealing that his people lost everything to what's-his-face's people should have made Wonder Woman question what she was being told. Or I guess it would have if she wasn't portrayed as a naive idiot. The same thing should be true about Sammy's story about wanting to become an actor. At the end of the movie, I couldn't help wondering what they were cheering for. They had just risked their lives for countries that would never recognise their service, and would continue oppressing and mistreating them for decades to come. Oppression and mistreatment I guess Wonder Woman didn't care enough to fight. And I guess Ares didn't really matter at all, seeing as how just 21 years later, WWII breaks out.

Oh, and the use of slow-mo every other second made the fight scenes nauseating to sit through.
PMEmail
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Jun 22 2017, 08:54 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You're wrong. About everything. Stop watching movies.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Satan
 Posted: Jun 27 2017, 01:31 PM

frostitute

It was okay.

I wish Ares wasn't buffed up in the final battle, but stayed his weak old mortal self while showing FEATZ. It would provide a nice contrast with feminist Wondie.

It's amusing to me that all through the movie Wondie was having difficulties with towers (phallic symbol): she had to climb a tower to get the God Killer, she destroyed a church bell tower and the final showdown started on the tower.

I loved that she destroyed bell tower, and in doing so symbolically showed destroying the church and patriarchy, while positioning herself as the only true god while ppl were cheering.

It's confusing how Diana doesn't know what a front is, but knows what a photograph is, and she's only been 10 hours tops in civilization.

I suspected about Ares' mortal shell being shady, but never would've guessed it was him. Nice job there. Also superb eye emotion job of Dr Poison actress. The lesser actress would've botched the role.

It was never explained how Wondie got her superhero title.

Steve/Wondie dynamic was wonderful, and communication also.

The most fascinating scene of the movie must be Diana asking Steve how she will know if he's ever telling the truth and he gets Lasso from her and binds himself. Relationship goals right there, folks.

As for your rant, JP, I'll tell you that Diana had her own free will where to go and what to do and no one was pushing her along. She went along with Trevor, but she willingly stepped into the conference room when he told her not to. She picked what to wear on the streets of London, not him. She shouted at his generals. She went to the gala, when he told her not to. She crossed No Man's Land, when he told her it's not possible. The only thing she did do he told her was not to kill Ares and she regretted it.

I, as you, am somewhat baffled as to how would Amazons be the bridge between mankind and Gods when Amazons are weapon and kill happy. I get that they are warriors with honour, but let's take an example of Steve and men stumbling into their world: maybe I'm wrong but Amazons immediately started shooting at them when Germans didn't even touch the shores of Themyscira, nor showed no signs of hostility.

Chief and Sameer were cheering for being alive, regardless of the discrimination and oppression in the 'world' they will continue to experience and live in. All through the movie it was put forth that this is the END WAR, the war to end all wars, the war that will end the world. Was it surprising that by defeating the Big Boss they were glad to be alive?

It really looks like Ares didn't matter and what he said was true: ppl do it on their own free will, no one forces them to. Ares is like Lucifer in that way, all mad at the Big Daddy for loving his other weak children.

Diana's romance serves a great deal to the story... I pondered for 10 minutes why it serves the story but I really don't know. I was going to type bc her love for Steve made her fought through and go into berserker rage to finally access her conduit god powers and kill Ares? Her romance with Steve made her question what her mother told her about the world of men? Her love for Steve made her feel good? Made her love weak mortal for however brief time? Made her realize that ppl are complex beings with good and bad in them? That's all I've got.

Women as second class lower beings: she commented on the secretary. She obviously doesn't give a flying fuck about men calling her woman and not giving her room to speak, so she forcefully takes it, re shouting at the general, shouting at Steve in the hall.

I think Wondie doesn't need to be a harder character, her 'naivete' suits her right and it doesn't hurt her in the world of men. Sure, it makes her confront her beliefs about lies, diplomacy, racism and war conventions, but it doesn't leave her an idiot.

I agree about Steve seducing Poison. It was wtfuckery, but I can't blame the girl for lusting after him.

How would you write Diana charging into battle with Germans left and right shooting at her?

Nice backstory of Diana's tiara, but origin of the costume wasn't explained.
Was it confirmed by the crew how Antiope had a lover who cried for her after Diana and Hippolyta came to her body?

I so badly want to see how Amazons dance.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll