Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Star Trek: Discovery [CBS All Access, Int.Netflix]
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Sep 25 2017, 12:42 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

user posted image

Set roughly ten years before the events of Star Trek: The Original Series, Discovery explores the Klingon T'Kuvma work to unite the 24 great Klingon houses, leading to a cold war between his race and the United Federation of Planets that involves the crew of the USS Discovery.

Star Trek: Discovery is now streaming on CBS All Access. Stream new episodes Sundays at 8:30ET/5:30PT. Mondays at 8:30ET/5:30PT on the Space Channel and Crackle in Canada. Mondays on Netflix in all other international territories.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Sep 25 2017, 05:19 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

Hype factor 9.99. Engage
PM
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Sep 25 2017, 07:46 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 04:32 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Decided to do a re-watch to catch stuff I may have missed the 1st time.

Ep 1:

- For someone raised as a Vulcan, Michael Burnham was awful cavalier about wanting to explore the "unknown object of origin", to the point of suggesting a life-threatening retrieval mission where her communications with the Shenzhou would be impaired. Not to mention her advocating for battle against the Klingons instead of retreating and getting back up. I get that she has reintegrated with humans for a while now but she still behaves way too much like JJ Abrams Kirk and not enough like Tuvak.

- I'm still unsure what the "sacred beacon" thing was about but I'm assuming it was a trap set up by T'kvuma to get the Federation close enough to attack them as a sign of strength? But in front of the other Klingons, he acted like he didn't provoke the federation into attacking? So was he playing Devil's advocate to ignite a war between Klingons and the federation in which he could be seen as a hero to the Klingons? It's weird. He's calling this "crusade" an act of self-preservation, yet he's the one setting landmines to start an all-out war.

- The flashback scenes are kinda oddly placed. They just happen randomly between scenes so there's not really a connection tied to Michael's actions in the present. It's kinda just like, "Oh yeah here's some backstory" that doesn't really fit the flow of this scene.

- The len's flare is annoying as hell the second time around. I'm also not fond of how dark the lighting is for the ship but then I remember ENT looked as though it was lit by an old table lamp so I'm kinda "eh" on DSC's dark look. I suspect it'll work well with the tone of the show later on.

- "Michael, no one has seen a klingon in over a 100 years" then who attacked the Vulcan-Human outpost and killed Michael's parents? lol

- Michael referring to her Captain by her first name while on the Bridge and in front of everyone was really inappropriate. It doesn't matter how close they are or how in danger there are, that's not the way to address your Captain.

- Ultimately, Michael was right about the Klingons but at the same time, she played right into their hands. Also, Sarek gave her terrible advice to which she proceeded to use in order to make terrible decisions.

- I find Voq to be completely interesting because we barely know anything about him in and out of the show yet he's set up to be a player in the Klingon storyline. Also, I hope the rumors of Sam Witwer being cast as Voq are true. He's a great actor & a total nerd, I would love to see him in Trek. The credits say Javid Iqbal plays Voq but google only brings up a serial killer.

- Speaking of acting, I like Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham but it does feel like she's trying too hard to be both Vulcan and a commanding officer. Like she's putting too much effort projecting what authority & military figures should behave like instead of letting it come naturally in some of her scenes. While it's unfair to compare her to co-stars who have been in the acting game for years, I think James Frain and Michelle Yeoh both portrayed the two sides of the Michael Burnham character, Vulcan & Human starfleet, better than what Martin-Green tried to do. Michael came off as far too reckless & impetuous for a human raised on Vulcan and then tried to be as cold & logical as a Vulcan can be in the latter part of the premiere. It just didn't work with Martin-Green's acting choices. I feel like it'll even out over time but it was an iffy start for her.

- The dialogue is a bit "eh" at some points. That's part of trek as a whole but still, they could have done better. There was a lot of *dramatic pauses* and emphasis on impending doom. It felt like a soap opera from the 70s.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
AgentFelix
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 06:58 PM

Damn. I might start carryin' beans.

QUOTE (Ted @ Tedd, and Teddy,Sep 30 2017, 08:32 PM)
Decided to do a re-watch to catch stuff I may have missed the 1st time.

Ep 1:

- For someone raised as a Vulcan, Michael Burnham was awful cavalier about wanting to explore the "unknown object of origin", to the point of suggesting a life-threatening retrieval mission where her communications with the Shenzhou would be impaired. Not to mention her advocating for battle against the Klingons instead of retreating and getting back up. I get that she has reintegrated with humans for a while now but she still behaves way too much like JJ Abrams Kirk and not enough like Tuvak.

She very much seemed to crave the excitement of something outside their normal satelite audit.

- I'm still unsure what the "sacred beacon" thing was about but I'm assuming it was a trap set up by T'kvuma to get the Federation close enough to attack them as a sign of strength? But in front of the other Klingons, he acted like he didn't provoke the federation into attacking? So was he playing Devil's advocate to ignite a war between Klingons and the federation in which he could be seen as a hero to the Klingons?  It's weird. He's calling this "crusade" an act of self-preservation, yet he's the one setting landmines to start an all-out war.

I mean yes and no. I think the torch was probably always there. I don't think T'Kuvma would've moved it to that location. It just so happened that it was at the edges of Federation/Klingon space. I could be wrong there though. But I think he does believe everything he's saying, and that he just used the theatrics of the baited actions of the Federation to get what he wanted. He perceived them as a threat to Klingon identity, and set the trap to lure them into a show of force. I think the endgame here is the establishment of the Federation Klingon Neutral Zone.

- The flashback scenes are kinda oddly placed. They just happen randomly between scenes so there's not really a connection tied to Michael's actions in the present. It's kinda just like, "Oh yeah here's some backstory" that doesn't really fit the flow of this scene.

This actually didn't bother me too much. But I will say, that the first 2 episodes really being a tv movie, but still being split into 2 episodes online, instead of one 2 hour episode, and having it include the repetition of the last 30 seconds of ep1 was really awkward. Especially with ep2 segueing into that flashback immediately.

- The len's flare is annoying as hell the second time around. I'm also not fond of how dark the lighting is for the ship but then I remember ENT looked as though it was lit by an old table lamp so I'm kinda "eh" on DSC's dark look. I suspect it'll work well with the tone of the show later on.

Yea, some journo commented that he had anecdotal evidence that a lot of the JJisms disappear starting next week, including the overdone Dutch angles and lens flares.

- "Michael, no one has seen a klingon in over a 100 years" then who attacked the Vulcan-Human outpost and killed Michael's parents? lol

Yea this was so clunky. I think their intent was, to keep the Klingons as foreign and unknown as possible, while working in the established continuity of first contact being 100 years before in the Enterprise premiere. They mentioned a few times that "well almost no contact" but they still seem to know next to nothing about the Empire they border. This isn't Enterprise anymore. There's more than 1 Earth ship. The Federation is a thing. This was all really weird.

- Michael referring to her Captain by her first name while on the Bridge and in front of everyone was really inappropriate. It doesn't matter how close they are or how in danger there are, that's not the way to address your Captain.

And non-Captain personnel calling her "Number One". What the actual fuck. They're supposed to be pseudo navy. That was ridiculous. Agreed all around.

- Ultimately, Michael was right about the Klingons but at the same time, she played right into their hands. Also, Sarek gave her terrible advice to which she proceeded to use in order to make terrible decisions.

What's worse is, ok maybe that's a good idea when there's just one ship. To show you're not weak (still not a fan of the preemptive attack). But once the 24 other ships showed up? Are you kidding? What was the Shenzhou going to prove? They would be so dead.

- I find Voq to be completely interesting because we barely know anything about him in and out of the show yet he's set up to be a player in the Klingon storyline. Also, I hope the rumors of Sam Witwer being cast as Voq are true. He's a great actor & a total nerd, I would love to see him in Trek.  The credits say Javid Iqbal plays Voq but google only brings up a serial killer.

Yea we see the Klingon with the red facial tattoo and the one with the facial jewelry as well. Appears a lot of those heads of houses have a part to play.

- Speaking of acting, I like Sonequa Martin-Green as Michael Burnham but it does feel like she's trying too hard to be both Vulcan and a commanding officer. Like she's putting too much effort projecting what authority & military figures should behave like instead of letting it come naturally in some of her scenes. While it's unfair to compare her to co-stars who have been in the acting game for years, I think James Frain and Michelle Yeoh both portrayed the two sides of the Michael Burnham character, Vulcan & Human starfleet, better than what Martin-Green tried to do. Michael came off as far too reckless & impetuous for a human raised on Vulcan and then tried to be as cold & logical as a Vulcan can be in the latter part of the premiere. It just didn't work with Martin-Green's acting choices. I feel like it'll even out over time but it was an iffy start for her.

The writing did her no favors. She was very Vulcan like in the opening scene, to the point that I feel the hood blowing off her head showing human ears was meant to be a reveal. Like Surprise! She's not Vulcan! But then after that, other than her scene in the flashback she seemed like an average human without the Vulcan influence. And then after talking to Sarek she went completely bat shit insane attitude wise losing all control. That scene was just absolutely crazy. But then she's in the brig and back to being calm and collected and our hero. The scene of her rationalizing with the bridge was probably the most Star Trek scene in the 2 hour time block. Loved it.

I still have concerns with some decisions, but I also have conflicting thoughts.

-The Klingons I go back and forth on. Part of me doesn't mind that they updated the look using modern make up and technology. That makes sense. It's not 1966 or 1987 anymore. But on the flip side, Enterprise explicitly did a plot to explain the lack of forehead ridges on Klingons in TOS. It was dumb iirc, but I mean it was canonized. To have them look like modern Klingons pre TOS is kinda weird.

-Also, I get that it's playing off of Star Trek Into Darkness, but why are the Klingons bald? 2250's Klingon hair fashion trend? Where's the Fu Manchu or goatees?

-Klingon speech was a mess. They've always been passionate, and almost like play actors. Maybe it was just T'Kuvma and his people but they all spoke so slow and deliberate it was off putting.

-The cloaking device? What? And on a ship that huge? Kirk was shocked as hell that Romulans could cloak their ship 10 years later, but here the Klingons are with their own device on one random ship, which appears huge mind you.

-Why is a Klingon ancient relic so far out it's in Federation space?

-So much of me wonders why they just didn't go forward in time instead of this odd association with the past. It gives them more room to work without fucking up stuff pissing off die hards. And they can do their whole socio-political aspect avoiding Rodenberry's Utopian mandate. There's so much they could do between Federation members and/or the Klingons and Romulan remnants post destruction of their homeworld. Voyager made it home in 2378 (2001). The Romulan system was destroyed in 2387 (2009). You don't even need to jump forward a generation in time. We essentially haven't seen anything of the Federation in 16 years. You could make it 2395, and keep pace with the real world timeline. If you wanted a conflict with the Klingon, you can have relations with the Empire deteriorate. It always mirrored US/Russia relations anyways in the TOS days. It'd also leave the window open for guest appearances by TNG, DS9 and VOY people if they wanted in later years too, presuming they could act in the new tone. idk, the whole 2256 thing just doesn't sit with me as the best idea for a Star Trek show. I'm glad we're back in the prime universe, but I didn't need another prequel show.

That being said, other than the Gifted this week, I'm not more hyped for anything else on TV. This is my #1 show currently running easily. it's been too long without Star Trek on TV.
PM
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 07:29 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ep 2:

-Starts off with another misplaced flashback to the meeting between Captain Georgiou and Michael. It's a good scene but not one that needed to be shown at that precise moment.

- Meant to say this earlier, but the title sequence is just okay. It's no "Strength of the Heart" but it'll do.

- The Klingons speech pattern reminds me of Christopher Walken. I know people were annoyed with how slow they spoke but it's not that bad.

- Poor Ensign Connors but I saw that from a mile away. Shed Garvey was way more shocking.

- Another flashback but this time it works. Yay! How embarrassing for Spock, Sarek never performed a mind meld with him but he did with Michael. Oops.

- Sarek got that intergalactic, telepathic Skype thing going on. Sorry, Spock. The chat with Burnham was nice but Sarek literally did the thing he said he wasn't doing. Putting himself at great risk for sentimentality, lol. Well, it gave Michael the boost she needed so I'm not too mad at it. That said, they shouldn't definitely avoid that type of "handy-dandy, magical save the day at the last minute with intergalactic telepathic skype" situation in the future. As interested as I am in the Sarek/Michael relationship, I don't want it shown in such a ham-fisted way.

- Terry Serpico & Anthony Michael Hall really look alike, wtf. It honestly took me a minute to realize it was Serpico as Admiral Anderson, not Hall.

- T'Kuvma is really hardcore and I can't be mad at it. He decimated the playing ground from the start in a way the other Klingons were too terrified (or uppity) to do. Everything from cloaking his ship, to his fake surrenders, to taking out half the ships that came to help the Shenzhou. That's some good tactical prowess.

- That being said, Michael came in with a really amazing counter-attack that could have worked amazingly for them if that *thing* didn't happen. Oh well. It was a great plan and a great battle sequence. The ongoing parallel between Voq & Michael was made abundantly clear by the end of the episode. I wonder how this "relationship" between the two characters will play out for the rest of the season because you can't just set that up and then leave out to dry.

- Captain Georgiou reminds me of a mix between Picard & Janeway. I am a little disappointed that she wasn't made the Captain of Discovery but I think we'll see her again throughout the season. Also, I'm looking forward to Captain Lorca (Jason Isaacs) and whatever his creepy deal is.

- The Starfleet command council or whoever they were supposed to be at the end of the episode were so suspect. We didn't see their faces because it was hidden in shadow, like that's some villain shit right there. And Michael's speech at the end was weird and kinda stupid. What was she trying to accomplish by saying that stuff? It should have been an internal monologue.

- There wasn't as many dutch angles or len's flares in the 2nd episode so that was great. The dialogue was still kinda iffy at certain points but again it was nothing too distracting. When I first watched I was annoyed by the lack of characterization outside of Captain Georgiou, Michael, Saru, T'Kuvma, and Voq but I understood why by the middle of the 2nd episode why it was done that way. Now, on my second watch, I don't particularly care about not getting to know the other crew members of the Shenzhou. The Discovery is what's important in the long run so it made sense to focus more on the people in the prologue who will the biggest impact on the show in its beginning.

- The Klingon stuff was genuinely interesting and I like the whole isolationism aspect of their story. There have been jokes about "Make Qo'noS Great Again" but their fight for "purity" and to "remain Klingon" reminds me more of the Tokugawa shogunate era of Japan. The Klingons essentially want what the Japanese had during their isolation, a cultural boom that would further cement Klingon cultural heritage without the interference of "foreigners" to their lands & principles. Although, they're way of establishing this total isolationism is by starting a war which seems counterproductive to me, but I suppose we'll learn more about the Klingon affairs as the show goes on

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 08:05 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oh, Hi didn't see your reply at first lol.

-The Klingons I go back and forth on. Part of me doesn't mind that they updated the look using modern make up and technology. That makes sense. It's not 1966 or 1987 anymore. But on the flip side, Enterprise explicitly did a plot to explain the lack of forehead ridges on Klingons in TOS. It was dumb iirc, but I mean it was canonized. To have them look like modern Klingons pre TOS is kinda weird.

-Also, I get that it's playing off of Star Trek Into Darkness, but why are the Klingons bald? 2250's Klingon hair fashion trend? Where's the Fu Manchu or goatees?

The Klingons are like the Daleks to me. I respect their importance to the show but I just can't give a flying squirrel fuck about them. DSC is the first time I've been interested in the Klingons as a whole instead of just liking/loving Worf and B'elanna. So I didn't care about the makeover on the level of "omg they're changing the Klingons again!!!" but the new looks do delve dangerously close to black coded racist caricatures. I know that's not what they were going for at all but they sure as hell got uncomfortably close to it.

-The cloaking device? What? And on a ship that huge? Kirk was shocked as hell that Romulans could cloak their ship 10 years later, but here the Klingons are with their own device on one random ship, which appears huge mind you.

-Why is a Klingon ancient relic so far out it's in Federation space?

It was played as though T'Kuvma only had cloaking on his ship so I don't think the other Klingons will catch on to it until they're supposed to. And I'm assuming that Starfleet only has knowledge of a Klingon ship with a different form of cloaking but I doubt they would know exactly the extent of that cloaking because most of their ships and data were destroyed in that battle.

That's kinda what I was referring to earlier with the torchbearer. It's supposedly on the edge of Klingon territory that's really Federation territory but it was seemingly placed there on purpose to lure Starfleet out there. Like the torchbearer ship was hidden but hidden just enough that it could still be seen but not seen too clearly so ideally the federation would have to get a closer look and well, that's how everything turned to shit. I think T'Kuvma planned all of this brilliantly and Michael just played into those plans to so effortlessly herself. Michael did everything T'Kuvma needed to be done to start his "war"

So much of me wonders why they just didn't go forward in time instead of this odd association with the past. It gives them more room to work without fucking up stuff pissing off die hards. And they can do their whole socio-political aspect avoiding Rodenberry's Utopian mandate. There's so much they could do between Federation members and/or the Klingons and Romulan remnants post destruction of their homeworld. Voyager made it home in 2378 (2001). The Romulan system was destroyed in 2387 (2009). You don't even need to jump forward a generation in time. We essentially haven't seen anything of the Federation in 16 years. You could make it 2395, and keep pace with the real world timeline. If you wanted a conflict with the Klingon, you can have relations with the Empire deteriorate. It always mirrored US/Russia relations anyways in the TOS days. It'd also leave the window open for guest appearances by TNG, DS9 and VOY people if they wanted in later years too, presuming they could act in the new tone. idk, the whole 2256 thing just doesn't sit with me as the best idea for a Star Trek show. I'm glad we're back in the prime universe, but I didn't need another prequel show.

Honestly, yes to all of this. The decision to have trek set close to Kirk era was the only thing that disappointed me about DSC being announced. The JJ movies have been running for years and even though it's a different timeline, that's still a constant reminder of the TOS era. I would have loved if they used this series to delve back into the TNG/DS9/VOY era of space exploration and there are still quite a few things from those eras that are ripe for the picking for a new show. They could re-explore the Delta Quadrant and show the Federation trying to set up base there so to speak. Not to mention Gamma post-Dominion war. It was supposedly devastated by war and what have The Founders been up to this entire time?

There's more material and freedom going forward with Trek than going back. The only thing that's left to be explored in Pre-TOS/TOS era Trek in the Earth-Romulan war for which we know jack shit about and it's been like 50 years, lol.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Fringe Division
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 09:12 PM

Napkin Bracelet

Teddy, you're familiar with my (lack of) taste, is this up my alley? Only ever seen the reboot films (which I thought were Good but not enough to tempt me into a full Trek spiral).
PM
^
Ted, Tedd, and Teddy
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 09:42 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm going to say yes. It's still brand new (episode 3 will premiere later tonight) but the first 2 episodes kinda act like a 2-hour movie prologue that sets up the premise of the show and introduces a few of the main characters. It looks almost better than Trek movies in the CGI & Set design department.

And it's not all that confusing for new viewers. The only that needs to be understood is that it takes place on another starfleet ship ten years before Kirk becomes Captain of Enterprise.

I think you'll enjoy it.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Fringe Division
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 11:37 PM

Napkin Bracelet

Cool cool, will put it on the list, thanks.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll