Pages: (140) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

TRUMP NATION 2017-2020, Trumped up trickle down piss
Kaiolino
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 04:53 AM

#ILoveRogue

Obama isn't a total hawk, not like Clinton and especially McCain.
PM
^
jarrod
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 05:19 AM

cum ninja

His lips say no but his track record says otherwise.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 10:14 AM

Still Endangered

Neither Obama or Clinton are as hawkish as the GOP candidates, not counting the libertarian ones. Obama is a lot more hawkish than I would have liked, see Afghanistan and drones. Clinton is further on than him. But neither are total hawks. Neither are singing "bomb Iran" on camera.
PM
^
Kaiolino
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 10:40 AM

#ILoveRogue

He did continue the war in Afghanistan and intensified drone warfare. On the other hand, he also:

- Conclusively ended the war in Iraq (this was already set in motion under the Bush administration, but Obama made it a priority)
- Let European NATO allies take the initative during Lybian civil war
- Left Syria alone (possibly to its detriment) until there was a worldwide demand for action
- Didn't go further than tighter sanctions on Russia after they annexed Crimea, instigated the Ukrainian Civil War began and shot down MH17, even though congress was breathing down his neck to send weapons to Ukraine
- Opened relations with Cuba
- Nuclear accord with Iran

He's probably the least hawkish post-WWII president.
PM
^
Beezzi
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 11:11 AM

Happy 10th Anniversary!

Also from his voting record on war related issues:

He voted against a successful bill in 2007 which funded the Iraq War without including a timetable for withdrawal.

Obama voted against the Military Commissions Act of 2006, (S. 3930) which granted legal immunity for CIA officials involved in acts of torture, outlawed certain acts of torture by U.S. agents, and barred detainees labeled enemy combatants from protesting their incarceration.

In 2005, Obama voted against a House resolution to reallocate $36 million to the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

He wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination (he seems to have dialed down the "change" part of the agenda very quickly), but at least he did something kinda in the right direction. Also, he had some incredibly zany BS from the other side to deal with.

As for Clinton's voting record on the Iraq War - it might've been a recommendation from her campaign. There's a perception in politics, that women candidates will be seen as "soft" by voters - not willing to make tough decisions or go to war to "protect" their country. They might've wrongly thought it would make her appear tough and hard on "security" issues - willing to take action (of course, in the end it was one of the things that sank her).

She was also instructed during her campaign to not act "feminine" and not to come across as overly friendly. Which basically killed her changes of winning, next to smiling and welcoming Obama - she just seemed house marmy and boring. However, those advisers - they ran Bill's campaign I think - seems to have been given the boot this time, so it'll be interesting to see for what kinda image they go for. We did have the burrito moment...

--------------------
"I meditate and do yoga. I sit cross-legged and try not to levitate too much." - Jeremy Brett
PM
^
Filthy Mutie
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 12:19 PM

I feel like Hilary isn't going to win, no matter how far she gets, because her dirty laundry has been piling up at an alarming rate.

Sanders seems the most grounded Democratic candidate, but he's way lesser-known.

It's too bad Warren didn't run.

Trump isn't actually running for President; h e's drawing attention away from Hilary. He's a decoy.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 01:41 PM

Still Endangered

QUOTE (Kaiolino @ Aug 4 2015, 02:40 PM)

He's probably the least hawkish post-WWII president.

Uh, Jimmy Carter says hello?
PM
^
Kaiolino
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 04:19 PM

#ILoveRogue

Oh, I forgot Jimmy Carter. But who doesn't. His real accomplishments came after.

Here's the Fox News debate list fkr thursday:

Donald Trump
Jeb Bush
Scott Walker
Mike Huckabee
Ben Carson
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Rand Paul
Chris Christie
John Kasich
PM
^
Beezzi
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 04:42 PM

Happy 10th Anniversary!

QUOTE (Kaiolino @ Aug 5 2015, 12:19 AM)
Oh, I forgot Jimmy Carter. But who doesn't. His real accomplishments came after.

Here's the Fox News debate list fkr thursday:

Donald Trump
Jeb Bush
Scott Walker
Mike Huckabee
Ben Carson
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Rand Paul
Chris Christie
John Kasich

Such a smorgasbord of comedy. I'm disappointed Bachmann and Cain didn't grace us with their presences.

Remember when Herman recited the Pokemon movie word for word? It's was beautiful...*sniff*

--------------------
"I meditate and do yoga. I sit cross-legged and try not to levitate too much." - Jeremy Brett
PM
^
Kaiolino
 Posted: Aug 4 2015, 04:51 PM

#ILoveRogue

We here enjoyed the shenanigans of Ricky Santorum the most.

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (140) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last »
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll