Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Social Justice Warriors Guild, The only thing worth fighting for
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 05:25 PM

Still Endangered

I first wanted to make this thread when Freddie Gray's murder was in the forefront of my mind. I was reaching my breaking point, and had to drop out of life for a week before I set something on fire. In its original incarnation, this was going to be a #BlackLivesMatter thread.

But since Freddie Gray, a lot has happened. The US Supreme Court legalized marriage equality, that horrible Stonewall trailer came out, an MRA was chased down the street by an angry mob is Montreal, Reddit continued to be a cesspool, the police murdered several more people, Confederate flags started coming down, etc.

So I decided to be intersectional with it, and make a thread dedicated to everything.

Everything being discussing large-scale oppression, signal-boosting important stories, sharing success stories (very important! We can make a difference!), and organizing and advocating for social justice!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 08:13 PM

Still Endangered

It has been one year since Michael Brown's death and the Ferguson protest.

Police have killed 1,083 people since then.
PM
^
Fod_2K16
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 08:45 PM

Advanced Member

Yahoo Front page- Ferguson Article snap shot about White Jesus

The only reason I linked to this is because as far as I have been told by anthropologists and historians, Jesus Christ was a Palestinian Jew, and most likely black.

Yes, I do subscribe to Jesus Christ being a black Palestinian Jew. Why would he be white and looking like an anglo saxon in the Middle East?? It makes no sense from a biological stand point.
PMEmail
^
Fod_2K16
 Posted: Aug 10 2015, 08:50 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Lycaon pictus @ Aug 10 2015, 08:13 PM)
It has been one year since Michael Brown's death and the Ferguson protest.

Police have killed 1,083 people since then.

Not surprised. Metro PD in Las Vegas is just as corrupt and killed just as many. My sister is a defense attorney and from what she can tell me, Vegas Metro PD and its officers are more like Mobsters than officers of the law.

What's worse is no one complains about the blatant disregard of human rights. They shoot first, plant evidence, and ignore every legal right to the people they arrest. Try telling them about Miranda Rights and they'll beat you savagely and haul you to jail on "disrupting the peace" charges, regardless of your skin color.

Most of her clients are black, though. So there is a definite racial prejudice in Vegas. She's able to get them out of prison terms on technicalities because of the Police's shoddy procedures and ignoring basic human rights. Yeah, a lot of the guys she defends are legitimately drug dealers, but she's told me that they're pretty alright guys that the system fucked over.

She often visits her clients in prison and is very hands on and personal in her dealings with clients. She's very good at getting her clients charges reduced or discharged.
PMEmail
^
sweetdumbass
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 03:20 AM

X-Men Discourse

Can we have a Post of Shame in this thread? I want to expose the most insensitive (I'm being generous) members among us, complete with screencaps of their transgressions.

--------------------
Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?
PM
^
Beezzi
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 04:25 AM

Happy 10th Anniversary!

You're talking about me right? You've found my stash of Dyce's post OZT fan fiction...Ahhh!!!! (Or just my remarks that Kitty seems to have lost her bloody mind right after BotA. But then, is that really a social justice issue? )

Are you talking about those photos from my wild college years protesting half nude...fun times...(cold though)

Or do you mean 'that' line I wrote in 'Wandering Among Stars'? I'll admit it bothers me, but am I to blame for how Marvel has represented Jubes' attitude towards her Chinese heritage and culture?

Anyway...aren't you a mod? There's nothing we can really do about it if you post anything....except mope about it endlessly in Harry's for the next few days...;-p

--------------------
"I meditate and do yoga. I sit cross-legged and try not to levitate too much." - Jeremy Brett
PM
^
Kaiolino
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 10:02 AM

#ReplaceRogue

Amnesty International voted in favour of a resolution that pleads for decriminalizing prostitution around the world. Hollywood is angry about it.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 11:59 AM

Still Endangered

That's probably not a good idea Shrugnificent. This thread isn't a burn book for fellow posters. Maybe a discussion of the sociological paradigms that spawned those jacked up views would be more productive?
You could also make a seperate Post of Shame thread. I know I'd read it.
QUOTE (Kaiolino @ Aug 11 2015, 02:02 PM)
Amnesty International voted in favour of a resolution that pleads for decriminalizing prostitution around the world. Hollywood is angry about it.

I've heard. It's a shame so many celebrities (read: people with some social power) are going against what sex workers themselves have said would make their lives safer--an end to the stigmatization that pushes them into the shadows.

I'm at a loss as to how legislation can protect them, and discourage human trafficking. But I always think a good first step is to listen to the actual people being effected.
PM
^
Filthy Mutie
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 12:02 PM

It's absurd that adult, consensual prostitution is illegal in 2015.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 12:31 PM

Still Endangered

Some good news: Famous rapist RooshV decided to take a trip to Canada, and Canada is not having it.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/10/pick-up-arti...ppance-5335662/

http://time.com/3992043/toronto-mayor-roos...yush-valizadeh/
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll