Pages: (4) 1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Social Justice Warriors Guild, The only thing worth fighting for
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 12:34 PM

Still Endangered

Some bad news: Police sexually assault a woman in public because "they smelled weed in her car". I really want people to consider this case when they spout the "Comply now, complain later" advice to people who are harassed by cops.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/texas-cops...c-strip-search/
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 01:14 PM

Still Endangered

And some struggle news: Yesterday was a big day of action in Ferguson, to commemorate the first anniversary of Mike Brown's death. Protestors shut down I-70 in both directions during rush hour, which was symbolic because that highway is representative of white-flight in the St Louis area.

Personally, highway shut downs are my favorite protest action. Better than die-ins, marches, alla them. Because they pull media attention, and they affect a shit-ton of people. Not to mention the fun arguments with people who say "they supported X, until it inconvenienced them".

STL PD again showed up with their riot gear to a (mostly) peaceful protest. They arrested a bunch pf people, harassed reporters, casually maced some people, the usual.

The three most notable things were
1. Ferguson PD is charging a Washington Post reporter for "trespassing and interfering with police" from last year's protest.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/us/arres...is-charged.html
2. Known activists Cornell West and Netta were arrested
3. Those Oathkeeper guys were back, and once again allowed to roam the streets with semiautomatic weapons.

PM
^
Filthy Mutie
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 02:22 PM

One of my favorite (ironically) things about the "do what they say and no one gets hurt/complain later" crowd is they're generally the same crowd that's always going on about not trusting the government/authority/system/Big Brother/etc.
PM
^
Fod_2K16
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 03:47 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Filthy Mutie @ Aug 11 2015, 12:02 PM)
It's absurd that adult, consensual prostitution is illegal in 2015.

Not in Nigh County in Nevada. Totally Legal. Hell, they had a strip club in walking distance from a High School in one city. You could see it from the High School campus.
PMEmail
^
The Big G
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 07:27 PM

BROLY POWER MAXIMUUUUUUUUUUUUM

QUOTE (foddington @ Aug 11 2015, 03:47 PM)

Not in Nigh County in Nevada. Totally Legal. Hell, they had a strip club in walking distance from a High School in one city. You could see it from the High School campus.

Bunny Ranch XD
PMWebsite
^
Fod_2K16
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 07:38 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (The Big G @ Aug 11 2015, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (foddington @ Aug 11 2015, 03:47 PM)

Bunny Ranch XD

Nope it was called "Ah So Sexy," and looked like a bounce castle. It was located on the main highway too.
PMEmail
^
gregyo
 Posted: Aug 11 2015, 08:05 PM

Ashley Davenport

Yeah, there's really no reason that prostitution should still be illegal.
PM
^
Supernature
 Posted: Aug 12 2015, 12:03 AM

Superior Homo

QUOTE (Kaiolino @ Aug 11 2015, 07:02 PM)
Amnesty International voted in favour of a resolution that pleads for decriminalizing prostitution around the world. Hollywood is angry about it.

It's bit more complicated than that, I think. There's also former sex workers who are angry about it.

I think everyone globally agrees that prostitution shouldn't be illegal. The concerns stem from the fact that some parts of Amnesty International's proposition make it sound like it would also make sex trafficking, pimps, brothels and all that jazz legal (or at the very least easier) as well, which is what people have a problem with.

The thing is sex work is entirely linked to precarious living conditions. A lot of transwomen have to rely on sex work because they're discriminated against in other areas. I think there was a study that showed that some students had to rely on it too to afford an education. It wouldn't be so prevalent if education was affordable or transphobia less common.
Not to mention the fact that for every high class sex worker who got into it of their own volition, plenty got sold / forced into it. Theres' an undeniable power imbalance between the worker and the employers / clients. To have the exploitation of sex workers made easier is something I have a problem with as well.

Encouraging the decriminalization of prostitution is a good thing, but the text needs some adjustments.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 12 2015, 09:54 PM

Still Endangered

I'm sure you've all heard about the Stonewall movie trailer by now. Roland Emmerich, one of the producers, and one of the actors made a statement recently that people have the movie all wrong, and what's in the trailer isn't representative of what's the movie--which, wtf?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/stonewal...roar#.cdAewPNGk

I don't buy it any case, and I'm not giving them a dime. I saw a tweet that said something to the effect of this movie being like a "whites only, no fats, no femmes" grindr profile. I was just thinking that joke is particularly apt, because aside from reducing the role of the transwomen of color (and in one case combining two real life people into one token amalgam), I didn't notice any lesbians in the trailer either. Like, it straight up erases all the dykes who were always on the front lines because they were routinely raped and harassed by police.

WHERE MY BUTCHES AT, MOVIE?

Why do I have to put up with this shit, and I still can't get my Stone Butch Blues movie?!?!?

And just for those who don't know the history--before it's re-written-- a black lesbian threw the first punch, and a black transwoman threw the first brick. Because lord knows in 10 years, ultra progressive Suzy Q will be showing this movie to her 8th grade class to teach them about the LGBT struggle.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 12 2015, 10:04 PM

Still Endangered

I don't know if any of you listen to This American Life. It's a wildly popular podcast, and I highly recommend it.

They recently did a two-parter about America's segregated education system, and I wish it were required listening for every policy maker in the country. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-arch...e-all-live-with

When I heard it, it reminded me a lot of another story they did back in the spring. It's also about our segregated education system.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-arch...550/three-miles

Both episode are golden journalism wise, and story telling wise. Just wanted to plug them here.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 4 
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll