Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Social Justice Warriors Guild, The only thing worth fighting for
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Aug 31 2015, 09:53 PM

Still Endangered

Baltimore is preparing for the Freddie Gray hearing. Sounds like they're gearing up for a heavy police presence.

This article has a click bait-y title, but it's an interesting read
A White Teen was Killed by A Cop and No One Took to the Streets. Is That a Problem?
Two points I gleaned from it:
1. A white, conservative town is unlikely to protest a black person being killed by police. They are also unlikely to protest a white person being killed by police. They are unlikely to protest, period. Except for the anti-government, libertarian types, there seems to be a cultural proclivity to not agitate. Or maybe that's wrong. Maybe it's that there's no structure to agitate? It's notable that the one person who made the press aware of this, and who organized the (small) vigil for this kid was a black activist who lived in the town.

2. This might also be the difference between people who have the luxury of believing the justice system will work for them, and the rest of us who know it won't.
PM
^
jarrod
 Posted: Oct 9 2015, 03:18 PM

cum ninja

user posted image
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Oct 10 2015, 12:28 AM

Still Endangered

jarrod I saw that article, and the graph. It's a national shame as far as I'm concerned.

I think there were 4 school shootings within the past 10 days, with 3 in a single day.

PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Oct 10 2015, 12:50 AM

Still Endangered

This article on racial profiling by neighbors on Oakland's nextdoor pages is so real. This sort of thing happens all the time.

It's awful when it happens to you. Even worse when it's in a place you live--like the time a cop stopped me while I was walking my dog one evening.

And back in college? Omg, I have STORIES. I have walked into buildings and had people physically startle and gasp. Once, I was just studying in the science lab, and someone walked in and let out a stifled scream. Like, wtf? Once I walked into my college's Public Safety office, to report that I'd lost my student ID and see if anyone turned it into the lost in found. My school's public safety is it's own building, like a little detached house they'd refurbed, right off one of the main streets through campus. It was 9ish at night? As soon as I opened the front door the woman at the front desk shouted "GET OUT! YOU WAIT OUTSIDE!" I was so shocked I did what she said. Like, I assumed there was some emergency?

Nope. No emergency. She just had to call a Public Safety officer from the back to stand in the lobby for protection before she let me in. I didn't even realize what had happened until a few days later.

I found my ID btw. I'd left it in my other pants.
PM
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: Oct 10 2015, 12:59 AM

Still Endangered

From the article:

In Adams Point last March, multiple users publicly complained about a Black boy who was apparently not picking up his dog's poop. After one woman described him as a "very nice African American young boy who regularly walks a rather scary looking pit-mix," and asked for suggestions on how to get him to pick up the dog's waste, one commenter suggested she call police. That commenter wrote: "Not picking up poop from your dog is against the law — it's a health violation." This commenter also suggested she contact the boy's school. Another man chimed in with an image of the boy: "Here's his photo. OPD might find this handy."

Later, the commenter who posted the photo suggested that the city aggressively target his family with fines, writing: "I'm sure they don't have that kind of money... but they could at least put a lean [sic] on their home and vehicles."

Cedric Bedford-Chalale, a longtime Adams Point resident and Nextdoor user, was shocked by the conversation. "That was really crossing the line," said Bedford-Chalale, who is Black and provided me with copies of the comment thread. "To call the authorities about something as small as dog shit? This is how little black Boys end up getting shot." Bedford-Chalale said it feels like the racist posts are constant in his neighborhood. "Every time there's a Black person, it's 'Call the police! Call the police!'"Bedford-Chalale, who said he is one of the few voices of color who comments in his Nextdoor group, has at times posted comments raising concerns about racial profiling. When he does, few appear to support his message, he said. And sometimes, Bedford-Chalale's neighbors go beyond simply stating their disagreement with him. On multiple occasions, users have flagged his comments about profiling as abusive or inappropriate, he said. One time after he posted about profiling, a user complained to Nextdoor that Bedford-Chalale wasn't using his real name on the site, which wasn't true. Nextdoor, however, temporarily suspended his account.

And
And as long as the profiling and prejudiced online posts persist, Mitsu Fisher, the father of James and Emma, is not letting his kids play outside or walk the streets of their own neighborhood without supervision. Mitsu made that an official policy in February 2014 after a patrol officer in the Oakmore neighborhood — who was working for a private security company and was not supposed to be armed — chased and shot a Black teenage boy suspected of committing a burglary, according to police. The fact that a private guard shot a young suspect was upsetting enough to Mitsu, but it was the response from his neighbors online that led him to truly fear for his own kids' safety.

On Nextdoor and a neighborhood Yahoo group, residents celebrated the private security guard for shooting the teenager — and organized to buy him a thank-you gift.

It's a long article, but it's definitely worth reading.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 4 
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll