Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

American Gods, Shall we worship them?
Satan
 Posted: May 3 2017, 08:24 AM

frostitute

user posted image

Glorified and revered Hannibal production team is adapting Neil Gaiman's novel about the war between New and Old Gods on american soil just outside the corners of our everyday eyes and lives. Shadow Moon is the hot con man every God wants for themselves, and I can't tell why. He's the crux of the whole series and our POV.

Will we be smitten into making a religion out of this show or will it leave us atheistic? Let's chat.
PMEmail
^
Satan
 Posted: May 3 2017, 08:45 AM

frostitute

QUOTE (Lycaon pictus @ May 2 2017, 06:08 PM)
I've always found Shadow very boring. It's the classic, 'straight-man protagonist who's out of the loop surrounded by way more interesting, dynamic secondary characters who know more than him' problem, but ratcheted up to 11. Towards the end of the book one of the characters says of Shadow he, "always seemed like a man-shaped hole in the world." That line stuck with me, because I think Shadow is a man-shaped hole in the plot. Not only is he nothing, but he thinks nothing, he feels nothing. At least nothing significant. He's down about his wife dying, but is he  grieving? All this wacky stuff starts happening around him, and he barely bats an eye. I wonder if his blandness isn't deliberate?

It was a long time since I read the book, so I don't remember practically anything. Maybe it's nigh time for a reread?

This ep Shadow looked to me like going through the motions, and grieved a bit. But he always has that sourface, and I don't understand why. At least leprechaun made him angry.

Man, I could go in on the plot holes. I think the bison head dude and the thunderbird are the only remaining stand-ins for all native american religion, but I agree those should have had more of a presence. Another thing that bothered me was like...the central premise that things like tv and technology have ascended to god-like levels of reverence in American society, and the old gods associated with religion are dying....but the US is way more religious than other developed nations by every measure??? Where's Jesus? Why Odin of all people??? There are tons of German, Irish, and English immigrants in the US. Why a norse god as the point-man for the old gods who are dying? We've never had a significant Scandinavian population! Ever! There are more people here who believe in the loch ness monster than in Odin! It felt like a weird choice for a book called 'American Gods'. Not touching the overwhelming eurocentrism of it all, but a better fit for Wednesday's character would have been some old being from Irish/English/German mythology. It would have been a great commentary on how immigration from those countries, and development of a new American identity leads to leaving behind the old ways, seeing as those European immigrants came here and over a couple generations were assimilated into Whiteness and have lost many ethnic signifiers, up to and including having their surnames changed on Ellis Island.

When you put it like that, it makes no sense why Vikings were chosen for the reigning pantheon of the Old Gods, but at least this episode showed that Vikings first came To Murica and that might've influenced star role for Odin. But why no NA god entities? At least it showed NA swift arrows which Vikings interpreted as Gods of the land.

Jesus will appear in the show. They cast three actors to play him.

She was a bit extra for me. You're gonna be a drunk, irreverent mess, and piss on his grave, and blow the other grieving spouse, and then spit the semen on his grave? Really girl? Alla that?

Leprechaun was too much for me. Like he casually swoops in, bores with coin tricks talk, bores with questions about Mr Wednesday and gets a boner for a fight. It disrupted the whole flow of the scene and degenerated it a bit.
PMEmail
^
Satan
 Posted: May 3 2017, 08:50 AM

frostitute

QUOTE (Kaiolino @ May 2 2017, 01:53 PM)
I thought it was great, though not as great as Hannibal's pilot. Thr drunk widow was MVP of the episode.

My AG darlings:
1. Ativan Widow
2. Mr Wednesday
3. Shadow's bunk buddy

PMEmail
^
Satan
 Posted: May 3 2017, 09:00 AM

frostitute

Most important message of the pilot
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: May 3 2017, 06:18 PM

Still Endangered

^That bit of bathroom grafitti made me roll my eyes tbh, like drunk widow's tirade. It felt very, "I want to have your abortion" to me. Just edgy vulgarity for edgy vulgarity's sake.

But also, I loved the Leprechaun biggrin.gif
I pretty much like all the non-Wednesday characters (Shadow I just think is blah), and I like his coin trick and would absolutely fight him for gold and his secrets.

On the topic of Shadow, it's been a while since I read the book too, but my mother is reading it now and I talked to her it and she says Shadow's blandness is 100% deliberate. Like Laura says things like, "I would go into a room and unless you moved I never knew your were there." And at one point Shadow says something like, "you're dead," to Laura and she's like no I'm not you are. And even Wednesday asks him at one point why he doesn't ask questions about all the literal magic happening around him, and Shadow's just like, /shrug.

Also his name is literally Shadow Moon. So yeah. That's on me I guess. Dunno why I missed that.

On the subject of the Viking gods, another thing that has always bothered me is...by what logic is Mad Sweeney dying before Odin and Loki???? The US has a MASSIVE Irish-American population. Also a massive German population. English too, of course. That little bit in the begining is right. The Vikings did get here back in the 1600's or whatever before the rest of Europe, but like they didn't even stay? To my recollection, there wasn't a large Scandinavian presence here until The New World had already been colonized by other European powers, and to this day we don't have a super big Scandinavian population compared to our Irish/Italian/English/German/Polish/Slavic populations. Not by a long shot. Odin should have died long ago, and that Leprachaun should be fine and dandy! There's plenty more people who believe in Leprechauns in the US than there are that believe in Vikings gods.

I think Neil Gaiman picked Odin because it's a recognizable mythological figure. But by that reasoning he could have picked Zeus or something. Still would have been a bad fit, cuz it's just not as big a part of the American identity. http://i.imgur.com/H45WCPv.gif

Glad Jesus will be in it. Thought the current major world religions were a weird omission in the book, along with Native American ones. Especially considering Americans are super fucking religious (which questions the whole thesis of the story, that things like tech are taking over the role of revered entities religious figures once held. Like, some states literally teach that the Grand Canyon was made by Noah's flood. That's what they told me in 8th grade science! You literally can't buy alcohol on Sundays in many states!)
PM
^
Satan
 Posted: May 9 2017, 07:19 AM

frostitute

Vulgarity can be funny.

You don't like Wednesday for future spoiler reasons?

At least Shadow got disoriented from Media this episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's feels like he's gone a bit looney, and Wednesday calms him and says isn't going mad a little sacrifice to ask for?

I'm just as perplexed as you are as to what sort of criteria Gaiman had while choosing Oldies when you take into account that belief and faith powers up gods, but just as you said, I think he picked Odin bc he's more recognizable and with his Christ comparisons.

Anyway, I LOVED SECOND EPISODE! It's so quotable.

The intro delivers the message (which piggybacks from the pilot's ending) and that message slowly unwraps itself through Shadow in the episode.

Media is mesmerizing. The way she cornered Shadow in the market is perfect.

Bilquis is strong in her silent (minus ooohhsss and aaaahsss) scenes, and it made me sad when she visited museum and looked at her past jewelry. The one thing that stuck with me, and it continues in this episode is that she picks middle aged ppl for her cosmic vagina. She picks them bc they are more susceptible to worshiping something beautiful and young as her, and are not to self-centered like 20somethings. At least that's my food thought.

The dinner with the Slavic gods was nice, although choosing non-Slavic actors sorta irked me. The accents were so fake and not convincing to me. I liked Czernobog's story about killing the cattle and finding the right spot to kill it instantly, and not make it angry, cause angry meat doesn't taste sweet. It reminded me of Hannibal ;( Did Czernobog save Shadow from the pilot's ending?

You're my only black friend made me laugh.

Speaking of Hannibal remembrance, I want a crossover with Hanni and Bilquis. I want to see a competition between the two in who can kill more ppl smile.gif
PMEmail
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: May 10 2017, 05:05 PM

Still Endangered

I don't like Wednesday because he's an unlikable prick, and future spoiler reasons, and every other reason in the universe, because he's an unlikable prick.

On the one hand I'm glad Shadow had some kind of reaction, both to his wife's death/infidelity, and to the literal magic happening around him. On the other hand I would have quit then and there, and run screaming into the night, so it's still not enough for me.

Weirdest thing of all is Shadow is starting to believe, so he decides to agree to let a stranger bash his head in with a hammer over checkers??? If I didn't think magic were real and someone said something like that to me, I'd leave just because I'd take it as a threat and them as crazy!

Media God was great. Well done scene. Loved it. Dunno where they're going with Bilquis. Don't care what happens to the people she 'eats' either. I was fine imagining them dead. In fact, I was happier imagining them dead. If they're alive does that mean they can come back??? O_o

Opening was great. First, it seems like they will be doing the little historical vignettes, so that's good. Second Orlando Jones has been talking up American Gods on his social media for a while now, and I stupidly assumed he was just excited for a show. Duh. Of course he's on it. Third, I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING ANANSI SAID.

BURN EVERYTHING TO THE GROUND. I don't just mean in that situation, or in the past. I mean right now. I am 100% advocating mass riots and FIRE. Fuck everything tbh.

I like how they decided to show Anansi coming to America this way vs the way they did it in the book. I liked the book way too--particularly because it juxtaposed different parts of the diaspora, stuff that happened in the Caribbean with the brother vs what happened in the US with the sister--but this was a good way to adapt it to tv where they have less time, AND could choose to make a statement on current events. I am very curious about how Anansi knew the future? And got future clothes? Thought him switching between jazz-era cat daddy speech and 'generic African accent' was a great acting choice. Does Anansi live outside linear time? Does he experience it all simultaneously? I'm gonna say yes.

There was a lot of peen in this episode.
PM
^
Satan
 Posted: May 12 2017, 05:05 AM

frostitute

Did Czernobog save Shadow from death in the pilot? It popped into my head when Shadow was staring at him and his hammer.

I like Wednesday cause he's a sly asshole and he's honest about it.

If someone showed me magic is real I'd just smile and told them that I knew all along and to teach me everything about it.

I loved Anansi and his historical speech. I think he's the most omnipotent god of all. He lives in all the time. But did you think about that he tricked the people into dying for him so he could come to Murica? He's a brutal truth speaker but trickster in the end.
PMEmail
^
Satan
 Posted: May 12 2017, 06:04 AM

frostitute

Starz renewed the series for season 2.
PMEmail
^
Lycaon pictus
 Posted: May 12 2017, 06:23 AM

Still Endangered

We don't know who/what saved Shadow. Media god implied Shadow may have latent demi-god powers

Btw what is the rule for spoilers in this thread? I've been posting book and show spoilers will-nilly without tags.

If I saw Wednesday on the street I'd accelerate and run him over with a smile on my face. Also he's a rapist

Anansi probably could have gotten to America easier in the hearts and minds of people who believed in him than on a piece of drift wood. That's how he got here in the book. I think he'd already gotten to America that way and was just speaking from the future/with knowledge of the future to tell them they might as well burn the boat because there's no hope. I don't think he would have wanted to get to America otherwise, since his believing population would quickly be forced to abandon all belief in and knowledge of his existence. And he would probably know that if he came from the future. I didn't see anything he said as a trick. He was being super honest about everything.
QUOTE (Satan @ May 12 2017, 10:04 AM)
Starz renewed the series for season 2.

That's another question. Will this be a mini series following the book, or will they drag the events of the book out longer to pad out the story, or will they add new things to the story to stretch it out to multiple seasons?
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll